We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

1 post
Save Topic
Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

My friends and I are looking to book a holiday after we have finished our GCSE's in the summer. I was wondering if it is possible that six sixteen-year-old teenagers could book a hotel and travel alone without an adult, or if a responsible adult over the age of 18 would be required?

12 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,959 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

No reason why you can't fly alone, obviously. You'd need to check policies for your hotels or accommodations.

Marlborough, United...
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

Where are you travelling from and to? Crossing borders or in the same country? staying in hotels or hostels? We need more detail to give you a proper answer, I suspect in most cases it might be "no" but the detail might get us to a "yes"

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
57,772 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

It all depends on where you are going???

Velez Rubio
Level Contributor
180 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

Can't see why not. Go for it, but make sure one of you is Captain Sensible! (And everything will be much more expensive than you think)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
23,582 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

>>>I was wondering if it is possible that six sixteen-year-old teenagers could book a hotel<<<

Not common.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
945 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

Look at youth hostels. Most hotels will not rent to a 16 year old.

Merseyside, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

It depends on your place of Travel, visa entry countries usually require an adult as i descovered after wanting to book a holiday to Turkey. I was told by some airlines they would let me fly and others i was turned down. Very much depends on destination and airline company🙂

UK
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

I don't know of any airline that doesn't allow 16-year-olds to travel unaccompanied.

As for accommodation - join the YHA and stay at YHA partner hostels (the international umbrella organisation is now called "Hostelling International", it was the IYHF when I was your age). You may not be able to stay at hotels, but hostels accept unaccompanied 16-year-olds in most places (you want to double-check on this, though)

Make sure you take a letter from your parents confirming that you are allowed to travel unaccompanied. You may or may not be asked for it depending on where you go.

edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
731 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

If you are looking at booking a British package holiday one adult must be over the age of 18

UK
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?

LOTS of useful information if you google "travelling at 16"

Reply to: Sixteen-Year-Old Holiday Without Adults?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted