We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,554 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

I am just beginning to look at possibilities for October, 2018 to get to Tanzania. It seems it would be best to fly into JRO (Kilimanjaro) by way of Amsterdam from Toronto on KLM. We would like to break up this flight by spending a few days in Amsterdam. Can this be done for the same price as if it were a continuous flight?

11 replies to this topic
Pewsey, United...
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

Test it as a multi-city intinerary rather than as just a return journey, which should be an option on the KLM website, just set the 2 legs X days apart.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,849 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

"Can this be done for the same price as if it were a continuous flight?"

Yes. It can also be cheaper or more expensive. There's really no way of knowing unless you try to price it up.

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

This should be very doable. I did a similar approach to and from Rwanda last year on KLM,

Edited: 16 August 2017, 15:08
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

Usually adding several days will increase the cost. Do a dummy booking and price it out.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,554 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

Thanks for all the replies.

No matter the cost at our age we cannot endure this long trip without a break. We have to get to Toronto from Halifax as well.

If it is going to be more expensive we may look at flying to another European destination for a few days if I can find one with a flight to JRO. There is also Turkish Airways and we could spend time in Istanbul.

We have been to both Amsterdam and Istanbul before.

Edited: 16 August 2017, 16:04
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

The home airline of the hub, in this case KLM, way have cheaper stop-over fares and possibly hotel deals. Definitely check it out directly through KLM. If you take KLM, you may find yourself flying to New York or Boston on Delta (which would be a lot easier on you) instead of Toronto. KLM has good Africa service.

Edited: 16 August 2017, 16:08
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,554 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

Thanks. We can get to Toronto fairly cheaply and have a place we could stay overnight if needed. It is just as quick to Toronto as New York or Boston. However I will check all options.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

Try pricing a multi-city itinerary, but also try pricing single fares. I was looking at Edinburgh to New York to New Orleans, and the price dropped like a stone when I changed it to separate bookings. Different continent and different airline,but worth a look.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

The reason I mention Boston is that Air Canada is not a code share partner in SkyTeam, the alliance that has KLM. Delta is a member as is KLM. Therefore a single ticket via KLM that may allow you a decent layover in Amsterdam (I recommend staying over the The Hague or even Delft).

Be careful with separate bookings. They are very very risky. If you go that way, be sure to leave a day or so between the flights which can suit your plans. Minimum 6 hours.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,867 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?

Condor fly direct from Halifax to Frankfurt and also from FRA to JRO I think only twice per week on Wed/Thu. From FRA they fly to JRO weekly on a Monday so that might work out. Not saying you actually stay in Frankfurt but you can easily reach other places by train for a few days.

Otherwise Icelandair fly to AMS via KEF so you could just do separate bookings on separate airlines and spend a few days in Amsterdam either side

Reply to: Can I break up a flight by a few days at one of the stops?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted