We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

Oban
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

My partner and I are about to book flights from London to Honolulu May 2018.

I am comparing the flights and West Jet offer the best price (£625 Return Per Person) vs Virgin Atlantic offering return flights for £850 pp.

I am keen on flying with Virgin they seem to have a very good reputation, however they only fly from London to Seattle. The flight from Seattle to Honolulu is operated by Delta airlines.

What I would like to know is:

1. In your opinion is it worth paying more to fly with Virgin

2. Given the second part of the Virgin flight is operated by Delta, is Delta any better than West Jet?

I have never heard of WestJet or Delta, any advice would be great. Especially given the long flight.

thanks

18 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

Advice == be sure you know all the costs by doing a dummy booking, and compare with seat selection costs, checked bags, etc.

Delta own 49% of Virgin, have done for a while, and are considered by many the best of the 3 main US carriers. Most certainly secure and all the back up in the world ;-)}

West Jet are smaller (understatement) but will get you there & back, they are no where near the size of Delta.

With Virgin, you will have EU261 protection outbound and on the return, with Westjet it is only outbound.

I think most would pay the £200 for the added security on such a long trip, but I'm not most, and if that was the "all extras added in " final price I'd be quite happy to fly Westjet & save my money.

Edited: 23 August 2017, 15:25
Oban
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

Thanks for the quick reply and from a fellow Scot too.

Have you ever flown with Delta or West Jet? Im just wondering if the seating is any better on Delta.

thanks again! appreciate it :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

Westjet? Stay away for long haul. They are an "Ok" regional player in Canada.

They expanded to transatlantic service last year, and let's say they had their teething problems.

OK in Canada, but viewed my many as more LCC type airline (despite the fact their flights may not be that much cheaper)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

No . . . but have you tried searching for flights from Inverness ?? ;-)

Inverness has no APD, it has an exemption to help the rural area . . . AA are from £642 depending on your dates.

Both AA & UA offer flights from Glasgow or Edinburgh without changing airlines and are around £720 next may. Saves a trip to London, and neither have the European habit of add ons yet, only on domestic US flights, which won't affect you. Both BA and Virgin charge for seat selection in economy, none of the US carriers do.

Lastly, where are you searching for flights? Where did you see the £625 from Westjet, I don't see anything in may under £680 base price, I'm wondering if you are looking at a risky 3rd party booking site.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,610 posts
1,254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

Now, one plus for WestJet might be their "Kargo Kids" program... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M4SkoJy3D0M

fly safely, and I would have zero issues with flying DL.

Hunt

Oban
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

Thanks, I'll look at Inverness. good shout, i hadn't even considered it..

I am using Skyscanner to compare flights, typing in London to Honolulu.

WestJet showing now at £626

Delta / Virgin showing up at £722 (directs to book on Delta website)

i think i've decided Delta/Virgin is the best option, even if it is a bit more expensive.

Thanks all so much

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

Well, I'm biased but I'd transit through Canada rather than the US. Economy won't differ by much, and WestJet can accrue miles on Delta.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

Don't forget you will be dealing with two airlines Virgin and Delta, if something goes wrong, watch the blame game begin.

With Westjet you are dealing with one airline and a darn pretty good one at that.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

Why transit through Canada when the ultimate destination is the USA anyway?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?

Don't forget you will be dealing with two airlines Virgin and Delta, if something goes wrong, watch the blame game begin.

=================

Delta owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic, and the two have a joint venture. There won't be any finger pointing.

Other things to consider. Checked baggage is free on Virgin/Delta, you pay for it on WestJet's cheapest fares. Meals are complimentary on Virgin transatlantic, whereas you have to pay on WestJet.

Once you start adding in all the extras for Westjet the total cost will likely work out the same, or cheaper with VS/DL.

Edited: 23 August 2017, 21:10
Reply to: WestJet vs Delta for long haul - which is better?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted