We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport validity for air travel

2 posts
Save Topic
Passport validity for air travel

Hello, I have some questions about passport validity.

I'm currently residing in the UK, but I'm not a citizen there. I hold a US passport, which expires in Apr 2018. I'm traveling from UK to USA in Dec 2017, and will return the same month. My flight goes through Munich Germany before flying to the USA.

My question is, will there be any entry issues because my passport expires within 6 months of travel?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,633 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport validity for air travel

no

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport validity for air travel

Hi, thanks for the reply, but could you provide any more information to back this up?

To my knowledge, having to travel through Munich means I will hit immigration control since it is the first point of entry into a Schengen area. I've read in several places that they require 6 months validity after date of return ticket.

Oregon
Level Contributor
966 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport validity for air travel

"To my knowledge, having to travel through Munich means I will hit immigration control since it is the first point of entry into a Schengen area. "

1) If this is a single ticket you won't be entering the Schengen area, you'll simply transit Munich with no immigration check

2) Regardless, the rule for the Schengen area is 3 months validity beyond your intended departure, so even if you have to go through immigration for some reason, your same-day departure is well within the limit.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,946 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport validity for air travel

You are in transit through Schengen area so not actually entering Germany.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport validity for air travel

If you are worried - get a new passport. That said....

https:/…schengen-fact-sheet.html

....makes it quite clear. They recommend 6 months, but the official requirement is "requires that your passport be valid for at least three months beyond your intended date of departure"

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,946 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport validity for air travel

The requirements above are for "entering" Schengen countries.

You are not entering Germany.

You are in transit through Germany to the USA.

That is a different situation.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport validity for air travel

UK is not in Schengen, so you won't enter Germany.

Oregon
Level Contributor
966 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport validity for air travel

Well, we don't know for sure if OP will have to enter Germany. It's probably ok to presume, as I usually do, that it's a single ticket, but it's also not uncommon for people on here to have booked separate flights. If OP has separate tickets and if OP has checked luggage, that usually requires a trip trough immigration to collect and recheck.

That's why I included option 2) in my answer above. Either way, OP is fine.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport validity for air travel

Separate ticket going the opposite way is not logical.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport validity for air travel

'I've read in several places that they require 6 months validity after date of return ticket.' Where specifically have you read this? It's incorrect information, and I'd like to know who is providing it.

'My question is, will there be any entry issues because my passport expires within 6 months of travel?' There should be no issues.

The UK requires that your passport be valid for the duration of your stay in that country. Should there be any irrops and you need to enter the Schengen area, as you plan to travel in December and your passport expires in April 2018 your passport will be valid for the required time in Schengen if it's a matter of entering and leaving the same day or next day.

Having said that, depending on how long you plan to remain in the UK you may wish to renew your US passport sooner rather than later to ensure it will be valid for the time you plan to stay there. If your passport expires on 23 April and your departure date is 20 April then it will be accepted at the UK border but adding in the contingency time with a new passport would be the sensible thing to do.

Reply to: Passport validity for air travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted