We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked baggage sizes

Seneca, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Checked baggage sizes

I am flying to Sydney, Australia on American, then from Sydney to Cairns on Qantas, then from Melbourne to Christchurch, NZ on New Zealand Air. The max checked baggage size for American and NZ Air is 62 inches, but Qantas shows 54 inches. Are they going to refuse to accept my bags? Has this been changed, but the website not updated? I find it hard to believe that no one else has encountered this.

10 replies to this topic
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
185 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checked baggage sizes

There is an article in the "Top Questions about Air Travel" on the right that deals with this. It can be a bit heavy though. I'm assuming this has all been done on a single ticket? If you want absolute peace of mind, I would just give a call to the carrier you purchased through.

Edited: 22 September 2017, 15:50
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checked baggage sizes

If you're on a single ticket then your bag will be checked through to Cairns and Qantas won't ever see it.

Seneca, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checked baggage sizes

These are NOT on a single ticket. Three tickets, one for each airline.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checked baggage sizes

3 separate tickets = 3 separate sets of compliance.

Check carry-on weight also. Qantas and ANZ are 7kg.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checked baggage sizes

Qantas says for checked bags on domestic flights:

"Total dimensions of each piece must not exceed 140cm (55in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage."

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
48,173 posts
1,547 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checked baggage sizes

With 3 separate tickets, the smallest allowance, both size and weight, need to be considered.

Have never flown QF from SYD, but at MEL, and ADL, they use a self-tag system, then the case is "scanned" and weighed, when placed in the conveyor.

All of ours passed on every criteria, so cannot say how "strict" they are, but both sizing cages and scales everywhere.

Good luck,

Hunt

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checked baggage sizes

The scanners that Hunt mentioned do measure your bags. We had a bag (well inside the regulations) where the handle fell to the side and the scanner read the bag as too big. One of the attendants told us to fold the handle back across the top as the machine just measured the maximum dimensions. Once we did that it was all ok.

Another reminder to carefully check the carry on size and weight also as that regularly surprises overseas travelers.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
9,672 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checked baggage sizes

They are more likely to charge you whatever the fee is for over sized items than refuse to accept it.

On separate tickets, you'll need to ensure both your checked and cabin bags comply with the smallest. Cabin bags on domestic flights aren't just restricted to 7kg, they are generally smaller than what you can take on an international flight.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,398 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checked baggage sizes

These are NOT on a single ticket. Three tickets, one for each airline. - Do you really mean you made 3 separate bookings as that's crucial for checked bag rules for flights to/from the USA

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
48,173 posts
1,547 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Checked baggage sizes

Harley,

Good point. As QF neophytes, we were apprehensive, and my garment bad (a Tumi fold-over), had to be repositioned twice, but cleared, when things were just right.

Also, the scanner needs the UPC code readable too.

Hunt

Reply to: Checked baggage sizes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted