We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to buy United Economy Plus seats

Level Contributor
275 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
When to buy United Economy Plus seats

I'm planning to fly on United to London Heathrow December 6, returning December 11. I definitely will want an Econ + seat bothways. I can pay $200 at the time I book. That seems very high--any guesses as to whether the price is likely to go down as we get closer to my travel dates?

11 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,223 posts
1,414 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to buy United Economy Plus seats

I can only recall E+ being "offered" at the gate, but did not hear any price.

As so many fliers get É+, due to their status, there are just not that many left, but time of boarding.

I do recall a few flights, with empty E+ seats empty, but have seen a few (very few) going out empty. I do not recall any offers from the podium, but might have just missed those? Maybe any offer was made, when pax were called to the desk, and no announcement was made?

Now, we often fly certain routes quite frequently, so my observations could be limited to just those, and on other routes, offers to upgrade might be more common.

We do fly SFO-LHR about 2-4x per year, and do not recall a single offer in boarding area, but that certainly does not mean they are not made - perhaps just out of earshot of me?

I would weigh whether the ~5" more legroom was worth the $, and buy from the UA Website. Even when we buy FC, the Website has ads to "buy E+," but have to admit to not looking at those for detail, as we start with E+, so prices could well fall. I just do not know.

BTW - all above observations are for UA.

Good luck in the decision, and hope that others have tracked E+, better than I have, and can offer better insight for you.

Hunt

Iowa
Level Contributor
298 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to buy United Economy Plus seats

Last year I paid $175 OMA to LHR. It sounds as though the price is now higher. (Not sure where you're flying from though.) There have been times I've waited and added the E+ later, but the price has never been less than originally offered. If I were you, I'd go ahead and purchase at the time of booking.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,642 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to buy United Economy Plus seats

The price does not go down as far as I know And as Hunt says. Elite flyers get E+ seats for free and the sliver members get them 24 hours prior so you will see more seats get occupied closer to flight time

AS long as you know that E+ is not a premium economy class and you get just the extra legroom and nothing more — go ahead

Edited: 23 September 2017, 10:39
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to buy United Economy Plus seats

The price stays the same, IME. If you don't want to be left with only middle seats, I'd book now. Price can vary between seats; the more desirable seats will have a higher price. All seats in E+ on your flight aren't $200.

Level Contributor
275 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to buy United Economy Plus seats

Wow, thanks to all who replied so fast. The answer seems pretty clear: little chance of getting a better price on the E+ seats by waiting, and a significant risk of the dreaded middle seat. We'll cough up the $$ now and assure ourselves of the seats we want.

Iowa
Level Contributor
298 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to buy United Economy Plus seats

One thing about the middle seat -- even though I paid for the E+ window and even though the seating chart a couple of days prior to the flight said I still had that seat and even though I checked in early online, I was placed in the dreaded middle seat. It was a bit of a disappointment, but at least I was still in E+. There was a small difference in cost between the two seats. I notified United, but I never received a refund.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When to buy United Economy Plus seats

that's awful Judy. stuff like that make me think it's psychologically better for me to seek upgrades at the gate and not before. One way, it's gravy to be upgraded, the other way, possible disappointments :-)

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to buy United Economy Plus seats

Is it possible to use miles to buy an E+ seat? If so, how would you do so?

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to buy United Economy Plus seats

No, cash only.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
608 posts
11 reviews