We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit through Spain

Brooklyn, New York
4 posts
Transit through Spain

Hello, I am planning to travel to Ecuador, but in route to Ecuador I have to transfer to a different airline in Spain. I am a Thai citizen. Do I need visa in order to transfer to different airline through Spain?

15 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,853 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Transit through Spain

Different airline but same ticket or separate tickets?

You can check on here https://www.traveldoc.aero/

Same ticket I would say no visa required if you stay airside

Brooklyn, New York
4 posts
2. Re: Transit through Spain

It is with a different ticket

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,853 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Transit through Spain

OK presuming you have to collect and re-check bags and are flying in from BKK then you will need a full Schengen visa. There are no transit visa's in the Schengen area.

So what is the story here, we only know you are flying to Ecuador (Quito??) via Spain (which airport in Spain?) but where are you flying from. You are asking a question but giving minimal information!!

You also list your location as NYC so do you have a green card or dual nationality or what?? All these things make a difference.

Presumably you have not booked any flights yet??

Edited: 15 October 2017, 06:59
Brooklyn, New York
4 posts
4. Re: Transit through Spain

I Am flying from Bangkok, transit in Spain Barajas Airport, and arriving in Guayaquil Ecuador. I have not booked the flight yet, but the flight I am looking for shows that the flight from Bangkok to Spain will be in Norwegian airline, in Spain will transfer to copa airline to Guayaquil Ecuador.

In case that I don't need to check baggage do I need visa or not ?

Thank you for your help

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,853 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Transit through Spain

Well Norwegian don't fly direct BKK o MAD so you would also need to transit in Oslo.

Copa Airlines don't fly to Madrid. Latam or Iberia do (they also code share the routes as part of the One World Alliance)

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/br/routemap

Sounds very complicated to me and I really don't want to speculate on the answer to a visa for MAD. If you don't leave the international transit area then possibly not. Would Norwegian accept that you will do this and let you on the flight in BKK I don't know.

Have you looked at flying to Quito instead on Say KLM and taking an internal flight? Long layover in AMS overnight though but there is a couple of airside transit hotels.

I think you may need the advice of a good travel agent here though.

Brooklyn, New York
4 posts
6. Re: Transit through Spain

Thank you for your help, I will look up for a flight to Quito as you suggest.

Dubai, United Arab...
4 posts
7. Re: Transit through Spain

From Dubai to equador (gauyaquil ( through spain will I need a transit visa from spain to equador beacause Cameroon passport for equador is visa free please help me

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,777 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Transit through Spain

1. What nationality are you?

2. Is the travel all on one ticket or on two separate tickets?

Dubai, United Arab...
4 posts
9. Re: Transit through Spain

Cameroonian

Dubai, United Arab...
4 posts
10. Re: Transit through Spain

My nationality is Cameroonian and Cameroonian passport to equador is visa free but I will have to bought a flaight from dubai to equador why transiting in spain. Please help me

Reply to: Transit through Spain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted