We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About passport control in Helsinki

Lund, Sweden
4 posts
Save Topic
About passport control in Helsinki

I have booked air tickets of finnair for two persons, and I wrote my name in wrong sequence.

I will use Copenhagen airport at first, Helsinki airport for transit, and Kittila at last.

I booked the cheapest tickets that can't change my name and no refund.

I don't want to spend worthless money.

Can I travel with that wrong name tickets?

I heard that the Helsinki airport is strict.

Is it possible to explain that I just miss wrote and I'm the one who buy this tickets in the airport?

The another ticket don't have problem.

I also want to know that if I can cancel only my tickets because it looks that when I cancel the tickets, both of two tickets will be cancelled.

I'm still learning English and I know my English is not correct but could you tell me how to solve these problems?

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About passport control in Helsinki

It is the airline that enforces the rule about matching names, not an airport or immigration officers. If the name on the ticket does not match the passport, the airline will deny boarding.

You need to call the airline or the agency that sold you the tickets.

Edited: 18 October 2017, 20:06
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About passport control in Helsinki

No passport control between Denmark and Finland.

Lund, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: About passport control in Helsinki

Thank you for answering.

I'll call to airline.

Lund, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: About passport control in Helsinki

Thank you for your answer

No passport control means I can use the mis wrote name ticket? Or I can't?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,215 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: About passport control in Helsinki

'I heard that the Helsinki airport is strict.' This has been my experience; the agents are very polite but very thorough.

As mentioned, though, there isn't passport control between Denmark and Finland.

What airline have you booked with? Did you book directly with the airline or use a third party, and if so which one? 'I also want to know that if I can cancel only my tickets because it looks that when I cancel the tickets, both of two tickets will be cancelled.' By this do you mean you were sold two single tickets (CPH-HEL-KTT and KTT-HEL-CPH) or a return?

Let us know more, please. Your English is very good, so your hard work is paying off.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: About passport control in Helsinki

Are you sure you wrote your name in the wrong sequence, as in you did type your first name in the surname field and vice versa? Air tickets display Surname first, then First and middle names (with no spaces). So if your name is Frank Larssen the ticket will display your name as "Larssen/Frank".

If I were you the first thing to do is to make sure that you did actually make a mistake and not that you're misinterpreting the (odd) way in which the name on the ticket is displayed. You can do that by calling the airline.

And there won't be any passport control for your flights as they are wholly within the Schengen Area.

Edited: 18 October 2017, 21:10
Lund, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: About passport control in Helsinki

Thank you for your help

I bought tickets directly from Finnair.

I bought two tickets, one for me, the another for companion. I paid both, like I bought tickets for 2 adult. So if I proceed the cancellation, the ticket for companion will be canceled too.

Even it has correct information.

I'm little calm down for now. I have to get SIM card and call for Finnair.

But I know change the name or book once more cost money, so I just want to know is it possible to flight with wrong order name ticket.(Because I want to save money.....)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,379 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: About passport control in Helsinki

I think if you check, you could cancel one ticket and not the other. Certainly I've done so with another airline.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: About passport control in Helsinki

"I have to get SIM card and call for Finnair."

You can call free using wifi so no need to buy a SIM card.

Reply to: About passport control in Helsinki
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted