We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Paris

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Paris

After one week in Ireland, this US based gal is flying Air France to Paris. What hoops do I have to jump and how long should I be at the airport before my flight?

Thanks in advance for any help/direction!

18 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Paris

2 hours.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Paris

No hoops to jump - what makes you think otherwise ?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Paris

Hoops?

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Paris

Thanks for the reply. First time flying from city to city within Europe. I wasn’t sure if I needed to go through passport control before leaving Dublin. I assume that I will when I arrive in Paris. I have seen some posts that indicate 3 hours before your flight in Dublin...that must be just for returning to the USA?

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Paris

Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to Paris

You seem confused. It's much easier than you think.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 14:09
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin to Paris

Just to clarify and at the risk of confusing you more, you don't clear Immigration on leaving a country. If you were flying Ireland - direct non stop to the US you would do Pre-Clearance at either Dublin or Shannon Airport for which indeed we suggest 3 hours.

European flights we recommend at least 2 hours - more if flying on a non EU Passport with Ryanair for document checks but this does not apply to you .

Edited: 19 October 2017, 14:16
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin to Paris

Thanks for your kind reply. Things are always easier once you’ve done it :)

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin to Paris

2 hours sounds so much better! I’ll get the hang of all this with a few more trips under my belt. Thanks

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin to Paris

#4: " I wasn’t sure if I needed to go through passport control before leaving Dublin."

#7: "Just to clarify and at the risk of confusing you more, you don't clear Immigration on leaving a country."

Actually #7 is risking confusing OP more because yes, you often do immigration/passport control on leaving a country. Many, perhaps even most, countries (including all Schengen Area countries) have a formal exit check by an immigration officer when you leave the country.

Edit: And note, I know Irelend is not in the Schengen Area, the comment is meant to say that OP's question about possible exit checks is not an unreasonable one, given how widespread the practice is.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 14:41
Reply to: Dublin to Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted