We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannot understand why

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
983 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Cannot understand why

Hi,this is my second journey to US,the first time I had no internal flights that were not connected but this time we are branching out a little and I am trying to understand the concept of paying for your luggage at check in when you have two opportunities where it could be done before, on booking and on online check in.

This is the first time I have ever encountered it,wouldn’t things move faster if it was done before you arrived at the airport. ?,can someone who knows why this is done please enlighten me.

Is the curbside check in the way to go in Orlando ?

Cheers Carole

15 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannot understand why

You can pay when you check in online.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
983 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannot understand why

Oh that’s great I didn’t read that anywhere and of course I haven’t looked there yet

Cheers Carole

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,787 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannot understand why

You have two choices for checking in, online and at the airport. In the US we think it's silly to make you pay for luggage before you've packed: this is much more logical than paying for luggage at the time of booking. It's up to you whether you check in online or at the airport. Online is faster.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,713 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannot understand why

Depending on the airline, it is sometimes substantially less expensive to add & pay for luggage online, if permitted. In some cases, paying with ticket purchase is less than paying later online which is in turn less than paying at the airport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannot understand why

In the US it's a hangover from the days when you just decided at the last minute to go somewhere, drove to the airport, bought a ticket, paid for your luggage if you had any and ran to catch the plane before it left.

In other countries like Australia plane travel has always been less routine, more pre-meditated and pre-planned. Hence people know in advance what baggage they'll be travelling with.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
983 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannot understand why

Okay I have the answer I need thank you all

Carole

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,608 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cannot understand why

probably people that had overweight or oversize luggage at the gate, had to pay

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cannot understand why

If you don't want to pay for checking your luggage, see if you can find flights on the following airlines. Alaska does charge $25.00 but that is for the first two checked luggage pieces.

https://www.southwest.com/

https://www.alaskaair.com/

https://www.jetblue.com/#/

Edited: 19 October 2017, 21:30
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cannot understand why

"In the US it's a hangover from the days when you just decided at the last minute to go somewhere, drove to the airport, bought a ticket, paid for your luggage if you had any and ran to catch the plane before it left."

Not even close. The US legacy carriers such as UA,AA and DL did not start charging for baggage until May 2008 with AA leading the charge.

Edited: 19 October 2017, 23:21
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,587 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cannot understand why

Paying at the airport through the kiosk adds all,of about 30 seconds to the bag check process. It really doesn't not save time to pay ahead of time. You still need to go to the check in kiosk or curbside check in to print the bag tag and drop the bag. All your saving is the few seconds it takes to scan your credit card.

Reply to: Cannot understand why
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted