We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

Dublin, Dublin...
1 post
Save Topic
Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

Hey guys, I'm flying with British Airways soon and it's a 14 hour flight to Hong Kong from London, I am quite tall, 6 foot 6 to be exact, anyone has any experience flying in the upper deck? I was looking at Emergency exit rows, I know there is no window but I don't think it's going to be much of an issue the thing I worry the most is the proximity to the toilets and people mingling in front of me waiting to get into the toilet. Would I be comfortable in a regular seat? Or should I just get the emergency one?

14 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,467 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

If I was tall I would always opt for a seat with extra legroom even if that was close to the toilets as comfort during a 14 hour flight would for me be more important than any minor inconvenience of the proximity of the toilets.

Fellow passengers may try to gather in or around the space in front but stretching your legs out or a carry on bag on the floor discourages this practice.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

No experience of the BA A380. But ....I'm almost a foot shorter than you and in economy and I go for the exit rows (free through my FF status). Even the exit row middles are great.

To eliminate the "lice" gathering around the bathrooms, after takeoff I take my carry on out of the overhead bin, place it in front of me and use it as a legrest. A sort of Economy Plus verging on Premium Economy. And it keeps the "bathroom queue lice" at bay. 😈

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,020 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

Definitely extra legroom. Mr LS is the same height as you and won't fly longhaul in a standard economy seat because your knees are jammed into the back of the seat in front. That person then gets most upset when their seat won't recline.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

<<6 foot 6>> I would go with as much legroom as you can get / afford, especially on a 14 hour flight.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

I always go for the exit (door) rows) on long haul because of the legroom and no on reclining on you. I've never found the loos a problem - people don't congregate as much as you think, or if they do wait they to stand by the bulkhead which is a fair distance away.

I also find it handier as you can see more easily when they're empty to get up and use yourself.

Only problems is scoring one in the first place.

UK
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

There is no seat in front of 25D which gives you more legroom than the bulkheads and you aren’t near the toilets or galley.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

Have you looked at the BA source seat maps, they are very good and have comments. There is no mention of problems with queuing to the loos. In fact it implies the toilets are WT+ toilets so no one from WT should be queuing by these seats.

thebasource.com/seatmaps/a380/14f97j55w303yu…

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,631 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

something to remember is even if you are tall, it will depend on your leg length, not your overall height. some tall people can have shortish legs and normal seating is grand.

however, nowadays 6 ft 6 is tot overly tall and thousands of people that height travel regularly in normal seating

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,020 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

<<however, nowadays 6 ft 6 is tot overly tall and thousands of people that height travel regularly in normal seating>>

Not overly tall? Thousands? Ok. Whatever. Maybe the Irish are very tall, but in the UK the average is 5'10" and even the Dutch, who are apparently the tallest, average is only 6'.

I'm very used to being around tall people and very rarely do I see someone as tall, never mind taller than Mr LS. He'll always comment if he's seen someone taller and very rarely has that happened.

bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36888541

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
19,631 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800

average means that it is the mean of the numbers of taller and smaller people, so yes thousands would be taller but equally thousands would be smaller. i am 6 1 and i can assure you that nowadays i often feel small against the modern youth!

Reply to: Tall guy in a -British Airways A380-800
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted