We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Jet Blue boarding process

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
670 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New Jet Blue boarding process

Hi. How well is the new boarding process going on JB? Are the aisle pax being forced to check their luggage as no overhead space is available by the time they board?

Just curious because when I contacted JB about this new procedure I was basically told that I would probably have to check my luggage as I have aisle seats on my next 4 flights. I really can't change my seat to a window as I have back issues and must get up to stretch my spine and I don't want to keep bothering people.

so just curious.

thanks

16 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Jet Blue boarding process

No one can tell you this, including the airline, as there are too many variables involved. How full is the flight? How many people are bringing carry-ones? They don't know, and no one here does.

Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Jet Blue boarding process

After two family flights with this ridiculously conceived and orchestrated process, with both flights having aisle seats, the results were having to check bags. There was no charge, as is their prior practice. On my daughter’s flight home for Thanksgiving, the flight crew was not well practiced and experienced enough with the boarding process and they actually had to deplane and reload the passengers. It caused an almost hour delay taking off when coupled with the current usual delays out of JFK.

I love flying JetBlue, but this may impact my carrier of choice if my December flight experience is problematic. I chose my seats based upon the greater likelihood of not having to check a bag.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,095 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Jet Blue boarding process

"On my daughter’s flight home for Thanksgiving, the flight crew was not well practiced and experienced enough with the boarding process and they actually had to deplane and reload the passengers. "

They actually had everyone on board and did this? Makes no sense whatsoever.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Jet Blue boarding process

Just returned home 2 days ago with flights on JB. Each way husband & I had aisle seats and both legs had to gate check bags as no room was left in overhead. Stuffed with luggage, coats, shopping bags etc. No one was asked to remove their coats as is protocol.

trying to board was the stupidest thing ever. Stuck standing in the aisle forever as they board the whole group at one time. Group A all at once, b, etc. By the time they get to aisle pax the line was all the up the jetway almost to the door.

I hope they rethink this new & improved system. does not seem to be working.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Jet Blue boarding process

Flying on JB on 12/4 and from the sounds of this I'm not looking forward to it. Sounds like if you are flying with another person or persons you won't necessarily board in the same group if you have different seat types (window middle, aisle). Only savings is that currently none of our flights in either direction are full , at least not at the moment, so maybe there won't be any issues with overhead space. Why didn't the FA's tell people to remove their coats and smaller items, which should go under the seat? .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Jet Blue boarding process

They do, but just on the intercom system. As you know there are way too many people who don't believe rules are made for them and have no consideration for anyone else.

A gate agent told me this is a work in progress and that it should get better.

Travel safe.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Jet Blue boarding process

I like it. It’s a finger to the establishment. A way to elevate the middle seats’ value and lower the worth of the aisle seats. Now we here just need to do something to window seats to make those par with the other ones. Y

Families will have to decide what they value more, sitting together or board plane together, but be in front back of each other.

Or maybe there will be a new fees if you want to except yourselves from all of this.

What do they do about minors and people needing assistance? Not all passengers are equally abled or sane, and do airlines really want to risk taking away their stabilizers and have FAs deal with these people haha. Late coming window seaters? How much efficiency has really changed ? Or are we trading one problem for a different problem ?

Edited: 25 November 2017, 08:27
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Jet Blue boarding process

I'm not sure what the problem is here. B6 is simply doing what the three mainline carriers (UA, DL and AA) have had for yonks, boarding groups. And in the case of United by roping off the groups into schoolchildren like lines it has eliminated the "gate lice" overcrowding.

And United's non Premier access groups (3-5) have been window, middle, aisle. Yes there have been/are issues with group 5 bags not having space but it's rarer these days.

What United (and I'm using them as the example as they're my primary carrier, I'm sure DL/AA do likewise) has done is enforce their carrry on rules. Not just at the gate - yes a few oversized bags do get through - but at booking and at checkin (desk, kiosk and OLCI) where the rules are rammed down your throat.

And there are frequent announcements. Before boarding re the rules and the offer to gate check carry ons for free (many take up this offer). And frequent announcements during boarding to place the personal item beneath the seat in front.

There are a lot fewer problems with carry ons with UA (and I'd assume DL and AA). Many more flights on these carriers are meeting D:0, that's departing exactly ontime or earlier.

So what's causing all this aggro with B6? Is it that they haven't done the above? Are their pax not warned ahead of time about the carry on rules? Are the gate agents still just letting kitchen sinks onboard?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Jet Blue boarding process

Not sure that letting the middle seat people board before the aisle people is going to "elevate" the value of a middle seat , other than maybe getting a better shot at overhead space. IMO, the middle seat will still be the last chosen and a lot of people will still continue to be unhappy they are stuck in the middle..

People will still not board during their designated group because they are either 1) coming in on a connecting flight and not made it to the gate before the boarding begins; 2) wandering around the airport and don't hear the boarding call; or 3) just don't want to sit on the plane while everyone else boards. There will still be people having to get up out of their seats to let someone not on the aisle into their seat.

I can see people complaining because they are not in the same boarding group as the people they are flying with. This will especially apply to families and those needing assistance, although I would expect the later to still board early with one person accompanying them .

If a person has the window seat and is traveling with others who don't, will they try to bring on as much of the group's carry-on stuff with them to insure getting overhead space? To prevent this the FA's will have to be very strict about stopping people bringing on more than one carry-on and a personal item. They seem to have a problem with doing that now so I don't see that working very well.

Will try to report back after our flights to let everyone know how this process went. IMO, this is not going to improve anything , just cause more confusion.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Jet Blue boarding process

Barb,

The boarding group process with the big 3 is that pax traveling together on the same ticket/PNR either get the same boarding group (the higher/highest) or can board with the pax in the highest group. On the occasions I've traveled with companions on the same PNR that's always been the case.

That does mean the solo travelers in the lowest priority boarding group lose out carry on wise.

But please do report back. It'll be interesting to see how B6 actually does handle this.

Edited: 25 November 2017, 09:34
Reply to: New Jet Blue boarding process
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted