We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia Bankruptcy

maine
Level Contributor
910 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Alitalia Bankruptcy

So I bought two roundtrip tickets into Palermo 27 days ago for next August. I had no idea this airline was in bankruptcy. I discovered it this morning. Travel insurance will not cover it. Credit card company says file a dispute in they default, but you can't draw blood from a stone.

Does an airline have to notify you if they are in bankruptcy when you purchase a ticket??

98 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia Bankruptcy

No, they don't.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,262 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia Bankruptcy

Being in bankruptcy is of course not the same as going out of business. They continue to operate and accept reservations for far into the future incl Aug 2018. The chance that you will lose your money and your trip is very small.

This recent article may be interesting: businesstravelnews.com/Interviews/Alitalia-P…

Edited: 04 November 2017, 12:26
maine
Level Contributor
910 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia Bankruptcy

Thank you for that link. It is somewhat reassuring but it still makes me nervous. Seems like there should be some type of disclosure. I would definitely not have booked with them had I known. And that's probably the exact reason why there is no disclosure.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,951 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia Bankruptcy

It's hardly been kept a secret. There has been media coverage of it.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
9,506 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia Bankruptcy

Don't worry, Mrs Merkel and her government will not see them default.

UK
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alitalia Bankruptcy

“Don't worry, Mrs Merkel and her government will not see them default.”

Air Berlin was not so lucky although Lufthansa will benefit from their demise.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,620 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alitalia Bankruptcy

"I would definitely not have booked with them had I known."

Up to you to research companies you plan do do business with. A quick Google search would have told you they're in trouble.

Edited: 04 November 2017, 14:11
Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alitalia Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy is simply a way to consolidate debt. Many airlines have gone into and come out of bankruptcy.

maine
Level Contributor
910 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alitalia Bankruptcy

DouglasDC8

I actually did do some research... but it was for reviews of the airline. None of the reviews mentioned bankruptcy. It never occurred to me to search to see if they were in bankruptcy. We have flown many, many airlines over the years to many different countries and I have never done that kind of search, although I always research reviews. Live and learn and cross my fingers, I guess.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,633 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alitalia Bankruptcy

A few years ago Japan Airlines was in the same boat. We continued to fly with them. There were some expected “cutback” with regards to “amenities”. That said, they survived and thrived into a better company. Facilities have great improved with much added luxuries. As pointed out, It’s just a means to restructure the Debt, and can often lead to better results.

Reply to: Alitalia Bankruptcy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted