We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
206 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

We're planning a trip to Europe over summer. So far I have found pretty decent flight prices (LAX-Paris for $389 and London to LAX for $603) but I'm wondering if we could get them cheaper (they're with Norwegian).

Is there a website where I can view the average price of certain flights for June and July? I've already set up a google tracker for the current flights.

14 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,750 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

Previous prices have no bearing on future prices.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

Personally I wouldn't use a tracker, but many do, I liken it to asking a timeshare salesman to give you a call if he has a "deal" and most are from sources I wouldn't want to use.

Also, the price for July / August in any year is not a constant. It's not the price at the time of departure that counts, it's the price at the point in time you purchase, and as all airlines nowadays shift fares up n down faster than my schooldays yoyo travelled, it's a pretty meaningless parallel. You would have to know on what day what fare was available because on any given flight the economy seats have probably had 20 (or more) different prices in the preceding 330 days.

Which one do you intend to pick?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
206 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

I just assumed the price tracker would (obviously) keep track of prices so I could compare. I have been checking everyday for months and they have gone up and then dropped back down to the original price I saw, but never dropped below that.

Sorry, what do you mean by "Which one do you intend to pick?"

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

I don't know how valid it is, but Kayak offers a recommendation on whether or not to buy at the price they show.

"but never dropped below that."

Sounds like you should already have a pretty good idea of the lowest price you're likely to see. There could be other reasons that fares would drop, but the two I can think of immediately are lower fuel prices or something reducing demand for those flights. Higher fuel prices (and fares) are probably at least as likely as the first, and if something makes those flights less popular it may make you less interested in going, or could result in your flight being canceled.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

As you are already aware all airline prices go up n down constantly what I meant was . . . . .

Which price and from what date in the past do you intend to pick, as a comparison for the price of the future?

It can't be done, it has no bearing on tomorrows load factors, new airlines on a route, offers on bizzare connections that affect the non stop price - such as the ludicrous Edinburgh to Miami prices currently available (£350) - the minute Air France remove that offer all others will increase prices in a flash.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,832 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

I got an excellent price for a flight to Newark from Cardiff last year wiht Aer Lingus. I was really pleased with it. But I don't expect ever to see that price again. If I do hope I hope I'll recover quickly enough from my faint to book before it sells out...

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

Three seventy four and its yours . . . . 25th Feb . . . 7 nights . . . ideal for pretending you forgot dragons day and were making up ;-))

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

Remember to factor in allocating seating, checked luggage and food aboard the plane into your final calculations.

Norwegian keep the base price low by charging for everything, so if you wish to sit together - pay, check your bag - pay, etc.

I know when easyJet first started flying from Gatwick to Santorini, there were some amazingly cheap fares. Unfortunately, those prices haven't been seen since that inaugural year :(

Not sure if the same will happen with Norwegian once they've got people hooked on their product.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
206 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

Kennydon that price is for the second tier, which includes baggage, food and seat selection.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?

If you travelling around Europe check prices from Dublin to lax, it is usually far cheaper and you should be able to get a cheap flight to to Dublin or Belfast (and make your way to Dublin)

Reply to: Is there a website where I can see past flight prices?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted