We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

Toronto
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

I am wondering if the email pdf attached here is a scan or a legit email from British Airways? Can someone with experience getting lost luggage compensation please weigh in on this?

https:/…

29 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,843 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

Really? You want people to open a link that might be malware?

Call or email BA and ask. And have you claimed comp from them, even more so.

Toronto
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

Here is the email cut and pasted (no malware).

Dear Mr ..............

Thanks for coming back to us with the required information. I know how upsetting this must have been for you and your travel companions, particularly as your bags were delayed and you'll were without your belongings.

It’s important to us that we offer each of our customers outstanding service and I know this wasn’t the case when you travelled. We try to make sure all bags are handled correctly when they’re within our care, and I absolutely agree we’ve let you down.

If a bag misses a flight for any reason, we’ll certainly send it to you as soon as possible. We know how important it is for you to have your belongings, however sometimes we have the wrong information and we can’t send your bag to you until we’ve completed our investigations. This means the process can take longer than expected.

I'd like to inform you that under the Montreal Convention, we're only liable to settle the claim for the essentials passengers may have incurred when they are without their luggage. This means we cannot reimburse towards your hotel expenses, tour guide charges and travelling expenses. I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Thanks for sending us your receipts. I’d arranging for $751.40 towards your essential items to be transferred to your bank using the details you provided. The best way to settle your claim is by bank transfer and it would be helpful if you could send me the following information:

Bank name

Branch name

Sort code. Please provide the Transit Number from the bottom of your cheques or your Routing Number. The Transit Number will be your 5 digit branch code, a hyphen, and then a 3 digit FI number. Alternatively, the Routing Number will be a ‘0’, followed by a 3 digit FI number and your 5 digit branch code.

Account number. This will be 1-25 numbers

You can send us your information by email or fax it to 0044 1787 883 195. You’re welcome to send more than one email if you’re concerned about giving us all your details at the same time. Please remember to include your Customer Relations reference number if you decide to fax us.

It’s only through your feedback we’re able to focus on areas where we need to improve and we really appreciate your insight.

Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch with us so we could make amends. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly. I hope we can welcome you on board again.

Best regards

Hemanshu Kubde

British Airways Customer Relations

Your case reference is:########

Please use the following link to send us a reply and quote your case reference ###### in any correspondence with us: replyto.me.ba

**Please do not send payment card details via email**

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,892 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

Call BA and ask if they've sent the email. I suspect not, as what you've supplied seems a baited hook waiting for the unwary.

Well done for asking before supplying the information.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,843 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

OK well that seems rather dodgy. I would definitely call BA and ask for clarification. Could well be a phishing email. If you've provided bank details why are they asking for them again.

Toronto
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

ok thanks guys....I will call BA to ask what is going on. Asking for bank details is always a clear sign for me that something is off. thanks again.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

I believe this is legit, but you'd do better asking BA than a bunch of strangers.

South of England
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

Have you recently flown BA and had baggage problems?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,815 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

... that resulted in costs of $751.40

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

It looks legitimate and if you copy/paste the contact link it takes you to British Airways customer relations.

I suppose, with the cheque having fallen out of favour, making payments has become trickier.

If you find a minute to post the response from BA after you contact them, that would be helpful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,891 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?

If you enter the fax number given into a search engine there are various links to articles giving it as a BA Customer Relations number.

Reply to: British Airways email re lost luggage - scam or legit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted