We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skipping last leg of first flight will cancel returning flig

Arlington...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Skipping last leg of first flight will cancel returning flig

My mom is traveling from Brazil to visit me in Boston. She will stop in New York City where she will go through immigration and therefore she needs to collect her luggage and do a check in again to continue to Boston. She doesn’t speak English, so I’m afraid she will get lost and miss her flight to Boston. So I was thinking I could pick her up there and she would skip the last leg of the flight. Would her flight back get canceled because of that? She’s coming with Delta. TIA

7 replies to this topic
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Skipping last leg of first flight will cancel returning flig

Skip a flight on the ticket and all subsequent flights are cancelled.

British Columbia...
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Skipping last leg of first flight will cancel returning flig

Separate tickets I take it?

You can find Portuguese speakers in NYC... odds are she'll be fine as long as the connection time is decent.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Skipping last leg of first flight will cancel returning flig

If you’re flying on one ticket, as soon as you miss a leg, the rest of your ticket will be cancelled.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,144 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Skipping last leg of first flight will cancel returning flig

'She doesn’t speak English, so I’m afraid she will get lost and miss her flight to Boston.'

In a situation like this I'd be tempted to provide mother with a cheat sheet with English words and phrases she may find at the airport translated into Portuguese to use during the connection process. It may not be perfect but it should reduce some of the potential stress and make for a smoother trip. Also, I hope you've allowed sufficient time to make the connection at (presumably) JFK.

As above, if she skips the JFK-BOS sector she'll find all return flights automatically cancelled.

Berry, Australia
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
196 reviews
5. Re: Skipping last leg of first flight will cancel returning flig

Are you saying that someone with no English skills would struggle to make a connection at JFK?

If Lack of English is the only concern, then you have no concern. 10,000+ non-English speakers do it everyday.

The only way she will struggle to do this is due to a lack of personal confidence or common sense as opposed to language.

In answer to your question, no, you cannot do this as all future legs will be cancelled.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Skipping last leg of first flight will cancel returning flig

<<<Separate tickets I take it?>>>

What made you assume that, wanderer?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,808 posts
71 reviews
7. Re: Skipping last leg of first flight will cancel returning flig

IF your mother is on one through ticket all the way to Boston she would just hand her luggage back after taking it through customs. She would not have to go to a counter to check it in as she did when she boarded her first flight.

When you said she'd have to "check in her bag again" it made people think she was flying on 2 separate tickets. I am not sure that is the situation.

Reply to: Skipping last leg of first flight will cancel returning flig
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted