We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of departure airport

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Change of departure airport

We're organizing a study trip to Gdansk for 19 people, we bought our tickets with Wizzair, from Groningen airport to Gdansk from 11 until 15 of April 2018. From the media, we've heard that Wizzair stops flying to Gdansk from Groningen from March 2018 for unknown reasons. We didn't receive any emails or calls with information about what is going to happen with our tickets, so I send wizzair an email and get a reply that yes, indeed they won't fly to Gdansk after March. They told me that our options are 1. get a refund, 2. be re-booked on other days 3. accept the change they've made for us.

The change is to fly from another airport - Eindhoven. We don't want to cancel because we won't be able to find anything cheaper and we're okay with the change with a condition that Wizzair pays for the train tickets from Groningen to Eindhoven (it's 3 hours train trip and train tickets cost more than plane tickets).

Wizzair don't want to pay for our train tickets and I'm not able to find a specific document where it would clearly state that they are obliged to get us to the new departure airport.

maybe some of you had similar experiences? What would you advise to do?

Thanks for your tips in advance!

36 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,718 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change of departure airport

I'm afraid the three options you mention are all that Wizzair have to offer. As they've given you more than two weeks notice they aren't liable for anything else.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Change of departure airport

Even if the new departure airport is literally on the other side of the country?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change of departure airport

They won't pay for your train tickets.

You don't have to accept the change. If you accept it you are responsible to get to the new airport. It doesn't matter where it is located.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change of departure airport

Yes.

Would Hamburg be any better for you? WizzAir has flights from there to Gdansk on your dates.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
59,874 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change of departure airport

They won't pay for your rail tickets and, mor eimportantly, they are not obligated to pay for your rail tickets. So, the choice of what to do is yours. You can suck up the cost of whatever it will cost your group to get to and from Eindhoven, Hamburg or wherever you decide to fly from, you can cancel and either not go at all, which means a full refund, or look for a different destination.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,777 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change of departure airport

The three options you have been given are correct. Wizzair already picked an option for you. You can change the option but that is it.

<<okay with the change with a condition>> is a no go. You either are ok, or you are not. Unfortunately they are not running a bazar.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change of departure airport

I don't necessarily agree with those that say there is no obligation for Wizz Air to cover your train costs. They're effectively rerouting you from a different airport which is not what they agreed to do when you entered a contract with them. That said, getting them to pay up may be more hassle than it's worth.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,777 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change of departure airport

Lexexpress, I would agree, if the travel date would be closer.

But the travel date being in April '18 and technically the original flight being cancelled, they offer a full refund or an alternative departure airport.

I do not see a legal position them being obliged paying the transport from one airport to another.

Edited: 06 December 2017, 11:59
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
59,874 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change of departure airport

I don't see where there is any way of arguing that the airline is obliged to pay for transportation except the small possibility of legal action for breach of contract. I don't rate the prospect of success via that route to be very high, and it may be costly in terms of money, time and effort as well.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change of departure airport

"I don't see where there is any way of arguing that the airline is obliged to pay for transportation"

It would arguably be covered by EU regulations on right to rerouting (which applies regardless of when the airline notifies the passenger so it doesn't really matter when the travel date is). But getting the airline to pay up is another matter.

Reply to: Change of departure airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted