We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Through check luggage with stop over Singapore airlines.

brisbane australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Through check luggage with stop over Singapore airlines.

Hi, next year we will be flying Singapore airlines from Rome to Brisbane. We have a 40 hour stopover in Singapore and have booked a stint at the airside Aerotel due to the 6am arrival.

After a sleep and freshen up we can then clear immigration and travel to our city hotel for early afternoon check in.

The issue is how to deal with our baggage? We could take the chance and leave our cases on the arrival conveyor to hopefully be recovered later from the lost and found counter (I would worry too much). We could clear immigration on arrival and immediately check in for our next flight, then proceed to the airside hotel (messy). Or as we have adequate room in our carry on bags and don't need the suitcases for the stopover are we able to check the luggage from Rome to Brisbane?.

All travel is on the one ticket and booking number.

A definitive answer will be greatly appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Through check luggage with stop over Singapore airlines.

<<A definitive answer will be greatly appreciated.>>

For the most definitive answer you can count on have you thought of calling the airline itself? Some airlines and airports have a maximum number of hours on a layover for which bags can be transferred.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
13,283 posts
267 reviews
2. Re: Through check luggage with stop over Singapore airlines.

Yes, I don't think this works, and you need to ask the airline. I'm fairly sure you can't transfer directly where your layover is more than 24 hours.

And I can't see how your airside stay works. I think the baggage conveyors are after immigration, so landside. So how do you get bags and then go to aerotel?

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Through check luggage with stop over Singapore airlines.

You can only check your luggage through to Brisbane if your stopover is less than 24 hours. As you say you have a 40 hour stopover you can't go through immigration as it will be too early to check in and recheck the luggage so you won't be able to get back airside for your hotel.

So you can either hope your luggage is collected and sent to lost and found if you really think the Aerotel is what you want to do.

Personally I would book an early check in at the other hotel. When you arrive collect your luggage go through immigration and get a taxi to the hotel.

I have stayed at the airside transit hotels in Singapore several times but in this situation I don't think it is the best option.

4. Re: Through check luggage with stop over Singapore airlines.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 December 2017, 03:26

brisbane australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Through check luggage with stop over Singapore airlines.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I can check in at Singapore 48 hrs before the flight so that option is feasible though not as convenient as checking bags all the way through.

It is not really easy getting answers directly from the airline over the phone so I will retry via their helpline.

Regards.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,675 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Through check luggage with stop over Singapore airlines.

<<We could take the chance and leave our cases on the arrival conveyor to hopefully be recovered later from the lost and found counter (I would worry too much>>

Since the stopover is longer than 24hrs the bags will be routed out to the baggage hall. There they will be taken to the Lost and Found storage area. This is a staffed storage area and you have to present bag tags to get your luggage, its isn't just handed over to anyone who asks. This is a routine activity for the staff as quite a lot of people crash in the transit hotels before passing immigration - a couple of the regular posters on the Singapore forums do this.

I have to say, the risks the bags are exposed to are essentially the same as those for any airtravel. There are long periods when they are under the control of airport and airline staff and there is a period on the belts when someone else might pick them up. So while you might worry actually you aren't doing anything that different to regular travel where there is a chance of loss if that helps balance the odds and worry?

<< We could clear immigration on arrival and immediately check in for our next flight, then proceed to the airside hotel (messy). >>

Yes SQ is open 48hrs in advance of take off at Changi, so they can take the bags there and then (again leaving it for many hours with the ground staff for comparison of worry to the Lost and Found). This is where things get problematic though. Once you go back with your boarding passes to use the Aerotel you cannot come back out. One exit only and you used that to get the bags - so no sightseeing if you use this route.

Alternatively - ditch the airside hotel, pass immigration of arrival, get bags, check them in and drop them with the airline - then rest in the Haven lounge options landside at T3 (showers and nap rooms available)

http://www.thehaven.com.sg/naprooms.php

http://www.thehaven.com.sg/showers.php

Once rested somewhat you can head into the city for the rest of the time.

Frankly with that length of time I agree with HarleyB. I would get a room for the full night that you have in a decent hotel in the city. Go there, drop bags in their luggage store (or even do early check in if your carryons have enough for the hotel stay), hope you get lucky and the room is available already before exploring some for the day, finish check in later and get the room if need be, do the evening stuff you want and rest before having a full day in Singapore - again on check out in the morning any decent hotel stores bags until you go to the airport if need be (I routinely do that after 9am check out and having a 10pm flight). That gets you the best part of two days in Singapore, doesn't have any issues with crossing the secure barriers too many times or leaving luggage unattended that you worry about.

Most of the decent hotels have some kind of shower room or facility that you could use to freshen up and you can just keep going on the first day to keep yourself awake. Once you have the room you can always crash there or by the pool if you are too tired from the flight in.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
7. Re: Through check luggage with stop over Singapore airlines.

Hi, normally we do transits in Singapore under 24 hrs and use an airside transit hotel. Recently, on return from Europe via Singapore, we had a stop over greater than 24hrs and arrived in Singapore around 7am. I packed all I required for the stop over in our carry on. As soon as we cleared immigration and collected our luggage we checked the main bags back in.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza at the airport and paid for the night before as well as the night the day we arrived. We checked in straight away, relaxed a bit, showered and the like then took the train in to the city for the day. The station is right under the hotel.

Our flight was 9am the next morning and as we were at the airport there was no early start to make our flight.

Reply to: Through check luggage with stop over Singapore airlines.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted