We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

Beware of this company. They provide fake price to skyscanners and ALSO FAKE PRICE WHEN CHECKOUT.

My ticket purchased was marked with HK$448.61 and the checkout display this same price. However, when the transaction was done and ticket was issued, there were no indication that the price was changed. The bank statement came showing that more than HK$4500 was charged, I went back to the website there were only overseas number to get assistance.

I called the customer service more than 5 times and only 3 were picked. The waiting time was like 25-35 minutes which costed me a lot. The first agent say she cannot help. She gave me the email address and hang up impolitely. The second one questioned me for why I called so many days after the booking and refuse to follow. She also hanged up so very improperly. The third one said we are an Europe company so of cause it will be in Europe, it will be in Europe no matter what currency was displayed on the website. I asked her to open a case for investigation and she said I don't see any problem there. I tried to explain and she hang up while I am still talking.

19 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,491 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

The fake price you warn about is because Travelgenio - as well as quite a few other third parties don't have access to live pricing, so when you do attempt to book the lower price is no longer available. And in some cases it never was available.

When spending large amounts of money, it pays to do a little research first before handing your money over.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

what was the route and dates you were booking?

It sounds like the price was displayed in Euro...HK$448 would be under €50 so would be a cheap flight (which may or may not be correct depending on the route)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,339 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

If the price charged to your card was not the price you agreed to pay then you need to contact your cardprovider and dispute the charge.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

Hi Joshua, of course we can help you with the payment doubts. Please send us a mail to customer.service@travelgenio.com with all your booking details and the amounts that do not fit and we will check immediately all the details. Regards

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

I would say, for normal business being carried out, should there be a price change the customer have to be informed before going ahead and charging them.

Have that being said, what happened now is not something you mentioned. This time they put Euro price but placed some other currency symbol. 1 EUR is equivalent to 1.2 USD or 1.7 AUD or 9 HKD. You see the price USD100 there and got charged EUR100, you end up paying USD120 but might still think it is not a big deal if you are generous enough. But HKD is significantly different. One should not charge EUR 450 when you display HKD 450 because EUR 450 is actually more than HKD 4050, which makes 9 times difference.

For my flight, an 1.5 hour regional flight which should normally cost 50 EUR - 100 EUR depends on seasons, talking about 450 EUR was like a ripping off.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 06:22
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

If you used a credit card, and possibly also a debit card, you should certainly contact the card issuer to say that you authorised a withdrawal from your account of 448.61 Hong Kong dollars but a much higher sum has been withdrawn. If you can convince the bank of the facts they will reimburse you and reimburse themselves from Travelgenio's bankers.

It sounds as though Travelgenio's programming has made some mistake over currency. As these online agents rely on automated processes you might think that they would have good programming. In fact they mostly seem just to buy ready made programmes and the main differences in the sites are merely cosmetic. From what is said on this forum their programming expertise seems to be at much the same level as their after sales service.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

Hi Joshua, please send us all the details to the mail above given in order to check the info provided. We will contact you asap with all the info. Thanks in advance

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

Hi Travelgenio,

I have sent the email already and got no reply before I start to call you - a Spain number. Would you be kind enough to let me know the turn around time AND to explain why were your agents so impolite and hang up the calls all the time?

Each calls starts with a long wait before your agent's attitudes and impoliteness then hang up even when customer still speaking.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

Please send us the booking code to check your booking and find out why you are not receiving our replies. Regards

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.

We could have told you that the prices weren't live. But you didn't ask!

Reply to: Beware of Travelgenio. Fake price and no service at all.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;