We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

My daughter and partner are stranded in Berlin . Flight cancelled Sunday , earliest flight they could book them on was today after a 4 hour wait in a very long queue being told nothing then handed a piece of paper to tell them what they could claim for , turned up for flight and been cancelled again . It was a weekend birthday break for them and we were rallying round looking after the children , I’ve had to take time to work etc etc ...kids are at different schools so been a nightmare for us and her youngest is 5 and very confused ....funny the 1st class customers from Sunday were on a flight home this morning 😡 they are running out of money but basically been told they will have to sleep in airport if they do ....terrible treatment from BA and now they can’t get through on the phone, email only .....they were looking at seeing if there might be a different airline with an earlier flight but heard from someone at the airport that they won’t get compensation if they do this .....any help or advice please

Edited: 12 December 2017, 08:26
25 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

what was the reason for the cancellations ?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,794 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

Weather. I had separate friends who had cancelled flights back to Manchester from both Dusseldorf & Krakow on Sunday. Both managed to get flights back on Monday.

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

I assume it's snow? I am stranded in Amsterdam for the same reason.

They should be paying for hotels for them though? If they aren' actually putting them up then they will reimburse them for a hotel they book themselves, as well as meals. That is what easyjet are doing for me, but I have had to pay for everything and claim it back.

Could you transfer money to them?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,794 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

Edit to my post above - the flight from Krakow was to Stansted, not Manchester.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,521 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

"they are running out of money but basically been told they will have to sleep in airport if they do"

Tell them to keep receipts, they should be reimbursed all expenses at a later stage. They can book their own hotel as well if necessary. Operations are starting to be back to normal although obviously there is a backlog of passengers waiting to get rebooked. They shouldn't attempt rebooking by email (waste of time), if they can't get through on the phone, going to the airport would be the best option. I don't see any available seats for today but there are lots of options for tomorrow.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

For BA, it's largely been weather related congestion at LHR T5. A lack of stand space due to extended de-icing, compounded by a lack of de-icing fluid.

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/603023-b…

"Flight BA983 was one of many disrupted by Sunday's heavy snowfall, but passengers on the afternoon service will feel particularly hard done by. The Airbus A320 was due to depart Berlin Tegel at 1.50pm but was delayed due to the weather conditions on the continent. It eventually took off at 6.57pm and made its way towards London. However, just as it was half way across the North Sea and less than a hour from Heathrow, it performed a U-turn and flew back to Berlin, where it landed an hour later."

A spokesperson for British Airways said: "When [we] are not able to operate flights into Heathrow as planned, we do our best to keep customers updated, and look after them, providing refreshments and hotel accommodation." Reduced capacity at Heathrow as heavy snow fell on Sunday meant a number of British Airways flights were forced to divert to airports including Leeds and Newcastle, while other aircraft were held in holding patterns above the UK waiting for a window to land. "We are working with Heathrow and Air Traffic Control to operate as many of our flights as possible into the airport. Safety is always our priority, especially when dealing with very challenging weather conditions," the spokesperson added. "We understand this is a frustrating time, but our teams are working around the clock to ensure we get customers to their destinations quickly, but safely. "

Other airlines using Heathrow also had flights impacted. The airport said the disruption would continue on Monday "due to crew and aircraft being out of position". "Before coming to the airport, passengers must check their flight status with their airline," the airport said. "If the status of your flight is cancelled, please do not travel to the airport."

Flights at other London airports were also affected on Sunday, while services were suspended from Birmingham and Manchester, too. Ryanair and EasyJet advised customers to check their flight status before travelling to the airport. The European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation said disruption would continue across Europe today. Nice, Brussels and Amsterdam were all suffering from delays."

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
11,513 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

They should check what cover their travel insurance will provide.

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

Yes it was due to the weather. Unfortunately they didn’t get insurance , it was a last min trip they don’t travel much due to young children etc etc and yes a big mistake they realise that now .....basically if they get a different flight with another airline what will they still be entitled to ....as they heard they won’t get the compensation if they do , does this mean she can’t claim for hotels etc too She’s a child minder too and had to get hold of the parents to say she can’t have the children she looks after so she’s had all that to worry about now and of course I wouldn’t let them sleep on the floor of the airport ....would mail money into them but that’s not the point .....

Edited: 12 December 2017, 09:05
Portsmouth
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

I saw a flight this afternoon with seats but it’s probably too late in the day for them now , with Lufthansa .....it was an option but I think they will be better just staying put .....we’ve sorted the kids !,

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,521 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice

"as they heard they won’t get the compensation if they do , does this mean she can’t claim for hotels etc too"

No, it doesn't mean that. They most likely won't be entitled to compensation but they are entitled to care, e.g. accommodation and meals.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 09:33
Reply to: Advice BA flight home cancelled twice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted