We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATL to AMS -- Northern Lights possible?

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
ATL to AMS -- Northern Lights possible?

In a few weeks, I'll be traveling from Birmingham, AL to Prague where the big chunk of my flight will be an overnight from Atlanta to Amsterdam. As we're flying east, I'll be on the north-facing side of the plane (left-hand side). Looking north, are there chances I could see the northern lights? Just wanted to see if others who have flown this route have experienced this. If so, it'd be a really cool addition to my vacation.

6 replies to this topic
paris london
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: ATL to AMS -- Northern Lights possible?

Extremely unlikely, you will be too far south for a good chance. It is theoretically possible, but the probability is very small, maybe once a year or less.

UK
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: ATL to AMS -- Northern Lights possible?

Depends how far north you go, and how much solar activity there is.

This site gives you a forecast for the area around the EU

http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,506 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: ATL to AMS -- Northern Lights possible?

They have been seen as far south as 35deg N but that is VERY seldom. You'll be around mid 50s deg N and iceland where they are common is low 60s N. We saw some mild activity once on a flight Chicago to Amsterdam. It was pretty cool. This is what I always hope for on my transatlantic flights home: cntraveler.com/story/passenger-spots-norther…

I always take a window seat on north side just for that one lucky flight 😀

Edited: 12 December 2017, 11:22
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: ATL to AMS -- Northern Lights possible?

I'm taking a northerly seat on both my departing and returning flights, although my returning flight will be during the day.

I looked at the flight data from flightradar24, and I'll be well south of Greenland. It's further south laterally than my trip to central Alaska a few years ago. Unfortunately, it was cloudy the whole time I was there.

Going to keep my fingers crossed. Thank you everyone for the responses!

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
164 reviews
5. Re: ATL to AMS -- Northern Lights possible?

It really depends. I've seen them as far south as Kansas, but they were fairly weak. I have absolutely seen them in the air a couple of times over Greenland and northern Canada. It really depends on the route you take, but it's possible...though the majority of my overnight flights have resulted in no northern light activities (or, if there were, I wasn't looking out the window at the time)

London
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: ATL to AMS -- Northern Lights possible?

More likely to see Father Christmas fly pass on his present delivery duties.

Reply to: ATL to AMS -- Northern Lights possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted