We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

My wife and I will be entering the US early February by cruise ship in SF.We are then flying home 3 days later by Virgin Atlantic from SF with their partner Delta to Atlanta and then VA to Manchester.

Our transit time is only 1 hr and 17 minutes but in reality much less as we need to disembark our SF flight and then get to our boarding gate well before if we are to catch our connection.Whilst we appear only to go through security in SF where do bee actually pass through emigration.I am presuming it has to Atlanta as our first flight is domestic but as we all know going through the passport controls can be potentially very slow.Can anyone advise as to whether we clear this in SF or more probably Atlanta and where is this in the Airport and is it easy

15 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,354 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

Leaving the USA there is no 'emmigration passport control' as we're used to nearly everywhere else. There is only the normal TSA security.

Edited: 13 December 2017, 04:32
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

1hr 17m is sufficient time to connect in atl . You just need to get to your next gate. You will need to show your passport along with your boarding pass as you board but the are no other departure formalities.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

Thanks...anything that makes life easier is always welcome.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

Cheers.thanks for the information

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,539 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

Just monitor the SF flight that day. If it is leaving late check with Delta immediately to see if they can move you to the nonstop Virgin Atlantic to LHR

75 minutes is imho a short layover not due to formalities as was mentioned but there is a very short buffer for delays You can handle about a 15-20 minutes delay at most. Also try and sit as close to the aircraft door as you can just so you don’t get delayed further

But if the flight is on time you will be fine

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

"1hr 17m is sufficient time to connect in atl"

Only if everything is on time and there are no delays (and even at that you will need to hurry to make your departing flight). The local experts recommend at least two hours for this type of connection at ATL, and I would personally want closer to three, since you are connecting to an outgoing TATL flight (not that many options later in the day if you miss it):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60898…

-JimG

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

Thanks Jim.As we say here I think we will need to keep our fingers and toes all crossed.Our luggage will be booked straight through as Our booking is with Virgin Atlantic so it just us and our hand luggage...hopefully a) we will be arriving on time and preferably early b) our onward flight is delayed but not by hours( been there bought the T Shirt) and c) Atlanta Airport is not so busy.

If we miss the connection through no fault of our own then so be it but these transit times are just ridiculous sometimes.At least we will coming home from holiday and not going.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

Thanks...here’s hoping

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

I’d rather wait a day than fly LHR...they don’t believe we have an Airport in Manchester down South....only joking honest...well a bona ride International one

Edited: 13 December 2017, 12:52
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US

>>>I’d rather wait a day than fly LHR...they don’t believe we have an Airport in Manchester down South....only joking honest.<<<

It's anything but a joke. Good ole "London Business class only" airlines are uttely convinced the universe revolves around T5 ;-) But, could you tread a little more gently on the "poor folks" feelings please? Ta

Your MAN international has 20 truly international offerings . . . . Our Nations capital had 6 untill Norwegian added 3 TATL in 737's : It's done wonders for the TATL prices tho' ;-))))

Reply to: San Francisco via Atlanta to Manchester UK.re leaving US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted