We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines for Hanoi-HongKong flight

Dublin
Level Contributor
87 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines for Hanoi-HongKong flight

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any advice.

At the end of an upcoming trip in Vietnam, myself and partner are heading to Hong Kong from Hanoi for a few nights before flying home to Ireland. Vietnam Airlines and Jetstar both fly direct once daily from Hanoi to HK, dep 1030 and 0930 respectively, so both good times. While Jetstar is priced at €73, VA seems to never reduce this flight price, at €175. I have never flown either, and I am a nervous flyer, so was looking for some advice on whether I should go ahead and book with Jetstar. There seem to be a few different regional branches of Jetstar - is this one seen as a safe airline? Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines for Hanoi-HongKong flight

First off the headline fare that Jetstar - which is a typical low cost carrier - is offering will end up being much closer to Vietnam Airlines by the time you add luggage, food, seat selection etc, so make sure you're comparing apples with apples price wise.

Both airlines operate narrow body Airbus A320 or A321 aircraft on the route so there's no option for a flight on a bigger wide body which some nervous flyers prefer.

Safety-wise I'd have no misgivings on either airline. Jetstar Pacific is partly owned by Qantas, but the extent to which Qantas' famous safety culture permeates out to its offshore, partially owned, low cost franchises is questionable. Vietnam Airlines hasn't run into any significant troubles that have hit the aviation media. Often in SE Asia the legacy airlines have better safety reputations than low cost carriers due mostly to pilot experience (and sobriety in the case of Indonesia...) so maybe in your shoes my choice would be Vietnam by a whisker for safety and Vietnam by half a length for all inclusive fares and less LCC hassle.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,183 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines for Hanoi-HongKong flight

We've always flown Vietnam Airlines and found the service excellent and on time. The meals were probably the best airplane meals we've had. By contrast, while waiting for our flights, we constantly heard announcements from Jetstar about delayed flights.

A few years back Jetstar Vietnam was revealed to have some serious safety concerns but I believe they've been addressed.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines for Hanoi-HongKong flight

Other than Jetstar and Vietnam airline, you also got HKexpress, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon.

The way I see it, you might wanna determine whether you need budget airline or full service airline first. You are a long trip traveller so I assume you got a luggage for each of you. So I would go for a full fare one.

For full fare airline I would go for Cathay Pac or Cathay Dragon, they belongs to the same company and is a 5 star airline. Pretty good service and good support when anything like weather strike or technical problem happens - they can usually arrange another flight for you. For Vietnam Airlines, tried once and I think their plane are quite old and quite noisy.

For budget airline, you also might wanna see HK express for the morning flight and compare the price between Jetstar. Remember to compare the price AFTER adding the luggage as the luggage fee are usually quite high. As mentioned by another member above, Jetstar delays quite frequents. And as I know, HK express have longer leg rooms.

Dublin
Level Contributor
87 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines for Hanoi-HongKong flight

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the prices quoted are all-in prices for luggage, etc., so quite a difference. HK Express do not fly from Hanoi to HK direct unfortunately, and Cathay are quoting €220, so out of our price range. So I think I will go with VA - to avoid any LCC hassle.

Reply to: Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines for Hanoi-HongKong flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted