We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

Has anyone experienced this with Iberia airline? It's unbelievable! When I called the customer service, they said they can't help me, and I can only resolve it by sending an email. So I did, see my letter below. I will post what happens next. If you have similar experience I would really appreciate that you share how you resolved it quickly. Thank you very much!

Dear Sir or Madam,

I booked 3 roundtrip tickets from LAX to BCN between June 27 and July 18, 2018 at your website. I have documents and confirmation email sent from your company (ibcom.webmaster1@iberia.com) at 4:39 PM on December 6, 2017, showing that the seat selection charges are $33 per person on flight IB2624, and $37 per person on flight IB2623. My total charge including flight, seat selections, baggage fees, and travel insurance on the confirmation email was USD $2611.29. See attached document to support this.

However, my credit card statement has shown that I have been charged $2765.29 total. When I sign in to my Iberia account, the total charges is also $2765.29. It appears that an extra $154 has been charged to our seat selection. I have called the customer service, and a representative informed me that his team only can correct mistakes from telephone ticket booking. Online ticket booking can only be resolved over the email here.

Please refund the $154 extra charge to my credit card as soon as possible. Of course, let me know if you need any more information or supporting documents.

18 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,937 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

You also need to involve your credit card company. They will have a disputed payment process.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,360 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

Call your credit card company now!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

Is it remotely possible that you have been charged in euro, and the conversion shown in the confirmation email was valid only at the time? By the time your card would have been charged it's entirely possible that the exchange rate had changed by that much.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

Thanks! I just got the following auto response by email from IBERIA_LAE.noreply@iberia.es

"...Our response time is usually within a maximum of 21 days, although we are sometimes forced to seek information from third parties which may result in it taking longer.

I would also inform you that if your email is in relation to an upcoming trip or a trip you are presently on, our staff at the Serviberia information and telephone sales office is available to answer any question you may have, 24 hours a day. Please call...

Iberia Customer Service"

Since my issue is in relation to an upcoming trip, per their suggestion in this email, I just called again. The rep told me the same thing. All web purchased ticket issues are resolved through email and their website.

I'm calling my credit card company next.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

My guess is currency conversion or exchange rate - the website quotes in USD, but the charge goes through in some other currency (probably Euro). I wouldn't be surprised if it's your bank or card issuer that has added the charge, and not Iberia at all.

-JimG

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

JimG, This is not about the currency exchange fluctuation.

On my Iberia account, they itemize all the charges on this booking. Everything but the seat selection charges match my confirmation email. They charged $154 more for the seat selection.

The customer service on the phone also confirmed this, but they said they can't do anything about it.

On the upside, I just disputed the $154 with my credit card company, and they said they will refund me for now. If Iberia challenges it, I will need to send my supporting documents.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

This experience with IBERIA really doesn't inspire confidence with this airline. I now wonder if they will honor my seat choices at the gate. If they could change the price after your book the tickets, what else could they not do??? If their telephone customer support team can't do anything about an error made by their website department that's so black and white, how can I count on their agents in person honor or resolve any problems caused by other departments???

Hope this post is helpful for others who are attracted by their low price tag, and are considering trying Iberia airline. You get what you pay for? Not guaranteed by IBERIA!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,702 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

i am gobsmacked that your cc company refunded you a disputed amount within 30 mins of you raising a dispute.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,744 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

Just be warned, paying for seat selection with any airline does not guarantee those seats. It reserves them for you barring any plane changes or passenger needs. It does happen that people get bumped out of reserved seating, they tend not to be happy. But read the fine print, it is in there.

As to the over charge, contact your CC company.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,360 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!

Depending on the amount my credit card company will also refund disputed charges on the spot. BTW we are talking about credit cards and not debit cards most of the time here in the USA.

Edited: 13 December 2017, 16:35
Reply to: IBERIA charged my credit card more than the confirmed price!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted