We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International flight from JFK

Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
International flight from JFK

I am planning a trip for September and trying to figure out if I have enough time to make my international flight. These are separate flights so I would have to collect luggage and check again for the next leg. The first flight arrives from New Orleans at JFK at 11:00am. This is a nonstop flight. The international leg is with Icelandair and departs at 2:00pm. Do I have enough time to make this connection or should I look for something different? I have never been through JFK so not sure of the logistics. Thank you for any help.

14 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,759 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International flight from JFK

I would prefer something with more time in between flights. Many airlines now recommend checking in 3 hours before international flights - if your first flight lands on time you still have to wait for luggage, collect it - transfer to the proper terminal for your next flight, go through security, check in, etc. The arrival time on the schedule is when the plane touches down, not when you get off the plane at the jetway - and what if your first flight is late, delayed, etc. If you can arrange for more time I would, even if it will mean more time hanging around the airport and waiting.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International flight from JFK

From the Icelandair website, it looks like you can book flights out of New Orleans, but it is a JetBlue flight that would connect you either thru Boston or JFK to an Icelandair flight onward.

I'd imagine you'd be protected from a late flight snafu, and your luggage will be connected for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International flight from JFK

<<The arrival time on the schedule is when the plane touches down, not when you get off the plane at the jetway>>

-----

Not true. Airline scheduled departure and arrival times are the time when the aircraft is schedule to first move off stand on departure (pushback) until the time when it is scheduled to arrive at its first parking position on arrival. Definitely not "wheels up" or "wheels down". This is called Block Time in the airline world, coming from "blocks off" to "blocks on".

That said, on separate tickets this one doesn't allow much time for incoming flight delay with an inter-terminal transfer on separate tickets at JFK, given the airport layout (even without knowing the domestic airline). As always, it depends on the individual appetite for risk, but this is fairly risky.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International flight from JFK

For a flight departing JFK, Icelandair's check in opens 3 hours 30 minutes before departure and closes one hour before departure, and they use Terminal 7.

The OP doesn't tell us which airline is providing the New Orleans-New York service. Timing suggests Delta, in which case arrival will be into Terminal 2.

Now I always thought the advertised arrival time was the time the doors opened for disembarkation, not touchdown. This might be because I live in Europe where courts have ruled that this is the case for the purpose of measuring delays and so airlines have no option but to quote times this way, and maybe things are different in the USA, though I can't see why this would be so. And of course wheels down has to occur while the plane is still in the air, because if they aren't lowered before touchdown there will be a very nasty mess on the runway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International flight from JFK

@AndyW33 - doors open is the measure for EC261/2004 delays, but even in Europe, airline schedules are still measuring the time off and on stand, not doors open. This is why there can still be disputes on EC261 claims, when the time taken to get doors open takes the delay over the threshold. Airline schedules the world over are measuring block time the same way, definitely not wheels up/down.

Edited: 15 December 2017, 03:05
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International flight from JFK

Thanks everyone. I will keep looking through flight options and see if my dates can be adjusted to make it work. I will check icelandair again to see if I can find an option to book from MSY. Other ways I have tried have almost doubled the prices. I do feel like that connection time might be a little tighter than I want to gamble with.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
59,911 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International flight from JFK

I agree with you and the others. 3 hours between flights on separate tickets is too tight when leading into a long haul flight.

There's usually a compromise somehwere between saving money and keeping risks and journey times down. It's very difficult to get it all.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International flight from JFK

Fly into JFK the day before your international flight and stay in an airport hotel.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,871 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International flight from JFK

While you did not ask, I hope you are planning on leaving more time on your return. Don't forget you will do immigration in NY!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,837 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International flight from JFK

In my experience at JFK waiting for your luggage from your first flight and then walking to the Air Train and waiting for it to take you to your 2nd terminal can take quite a while! Then you have to go through security again at your Icelandair Terminal.

International flights often start boarding 1 hr before take off.

With all that I'd want more time between separately bought flights.

I like 3hrs between flights when they are all on one ticket so for separate tickets I'd either come the night before or have much more time!

I live in San Diego but I am originally from NYC and have flown through JFK many times on my way to Europe and landed there many times when visiting friends and relatives there.

Edited: 15 December 2017, 09:34
Reply to: International flight from JFK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted