We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2018, 11:30
Edited: 25 January 2018, 11:30

14 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

Home made breads - almost certainly not.

Other items, commercially packaged and labelled - possibly - but why? It's a long time since any anyone has starved in Australia for want of Indian food. All those items are available here.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

All the info is on their website

agriculture.gov.au/travelling/arriving-in-au…

>>F'oods that are prohibited unless accompanied by a valid Import Permit include beans, peas, cereal seeds, eggs, fresh fruit and vegetables, uncanned meat and all pork products, milk, popping corn, raw unroasted nuts, whole salmon and trout.<<

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

Homemade bread, unlikely - declare it at customs and see.

The other stuff - WHY? We have Nestle Maggi noodle cups (I know, I ate one yesterday). We have Oreos. We have wafers and chips. If you can't find what you like in the big supermarkets there are also dozens upon dozens of Indian supermarkets here. Indian food is everywhere, we love it. Maybe you could try some local cuisine as well. Seems a waste to come all this way and not try the food.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
96 reviews
4. Re: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

Last time I looked, noodles were 10 cents a cup. Why bother?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,924 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

You will need to take food if you travel on Tiger or Jetstar.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

#5 - if they're going from Sydney-Gold Coast and Gold Coast-Melbourne, no, they won't. Those are like hour-to-hour-and-a-half long hops. Food not required.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

You must declare ALL foodstuffs on entry into Australia, even if most of those in commercial tins and packets are allowed - but Maggi, Nestlé and Oreo are NOT Indian brands, you will find these worldwide! Fresh or home-made food, you cannot take in.

I have seen Indian tourists having trouble at Australian Customs because they hadn't declared all foodstuffs, apparently claiming that they didn't consider certain snack items as "food" (!). I suggest you make a list of food items as you pack them, and take the list on the plane with you so you have it to hand when you go through Customs (could avoid having your bags searched). Be aware that if you "forget" to declare anything you brought with you for EATING, you run the risk of having it confiscated and you may also be fined.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

^The summary version of this is:

If it goes in your mouth, declare it.

If you have any doubts, DECLARE IT.

Just declare it.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,525 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

If it goes in your mouth, declare it.

=================

Which is why when I'm going to the likes of Australia (or New Zealand) I declare the likes of water and chewing gum.

I know the biosecurity officers aren't interested in those items, but they can be eaten or drunk. Therefore, they're declared and I'm sent on my way.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
96 reviews
10. Re: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus

Numbers 7 & 8 are incorrect. The current requirements only state that certain foods need to be declared. A quick Google search will provide full details of the Incoming Passenger Arrival card.

Reply to: Packed food from India to Sydney and internal flights in Aus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted