We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
380 posts
13 reviews
6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

Going to be flying Malaysian BOM-KUL-HKG, and then Cathay HKG-SYD later this year. I can choose to get into HKG at 1.35pm and then hang around for my 11.55pm departure to SYD, or get in to HKG at 5.50pm from KUL instead. In the second case, I'd need to spend nearly seven hours in KUL and then about five in HKG; in the first case, less than two hours in KUL, but about 10 in HKG. All three flights are in business class. The last leg is on a separate ticket from the first two. All other things being equal, which one would you pick? I haven't been to The Pier in Hong Kong, but I doubt I would be allowed to, or want to, spend ten hours there at a stretch - though I'm sure there are other, Priority Pass/Dragon pass lounges as well.

13 replies to this topic
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
281 reviews
1. Re: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

Why not fly BOM-KUL-SYD on one ticket with Malaysian Airlines?

If you have to travel via Hong Kong, I'd opt for the 10 hours in HK.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
164 reviews
2. Re: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

10 hours in Hong Kong. Explore a bit. I build long layovers at HKG often because I absolutely love Hong Kong and always take a moment to explore a new part of the city.

The lounge wont care if you spend 10 hours there. I have spent about eight hours there before, albeit unexpectedly due to delays.

Edited: 19 January 2018, 10:39
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
164 reviews
3. Re: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

Also, do be aware of the risks of separate tickets.

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
380 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

Thanks. HKG-SYD is an award ticket, and I've got a good fare for BOM-HKG on MH. I could redeem miles for BOM-HKG direct on CX, but that flight gets in even earlier (I'd need to spend over 13 hours in HKG before the SYD flight. Yes, I could go out into the city, but it'd be tiring, given it'll be muggy as hell in June.)

There's no award availability for my dates for BOM-SYD as one itinerary on CX via HKG. There might be on MH, but it'll cost way more in terms of both miles and taxes.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,161 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

I’d go for 10h in HK. It’s a long trip into and back from town in KL so realistically you would have 3 hours or less to explore.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
106 reviews
6. Re: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

The kl express train into kl sentral only takes 28 minutes. From there a short taxi ride or light railway to a lot of areas.however, if you are a business class passenger with cathay, you have several lounges to choose from.

Edited: 19 January 2018, 11:58
Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
106 reviews
7. Re: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

To choose from in hk I meant. I would choose the hk option myself.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,881 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

I'd also go for HK. Fantastic city with great transport.

Or take the cable car at Lantau island and get out in fresh air. Will be a bit cooler with the higher altitude

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
380 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

Thanks, Lantau is a nice idea. I love Hong Kong myself but not the idea of being outdoors in HK in June!

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
106 reviews
10. Re: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?

I don't think there is much difference temp wise between either destination in June!

Reply to: 6h45 min in KUL or 10h in HKG?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted