We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question

Harrisburg...
8 posts
Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question

When we land in Madrid, what should we expect before we get out of the airport. We are Americans and we are trying to book a transfer to our hotel. How much time should I budget from the time my flight lands. The airport is MAD. Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,557 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question

There will be no Immigration or Customs formalities, as Italy and Spain are both EU members and parts of the Schengen area. The only delay will be the time you have to wait for your luggage, which is a bit unpredictable.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question

My experience in most places around the world when booking an airport transfer with a professional company/driver, providing the flight details is generally enough for the assigned driver to know when and where to be.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question

Just take a taxi. There will be lots when you exit the airport.

Don't worry if you don't speak Spanish. Just have the name of the hotel and the address printed out to show the driver.

Edited: 20 January 2018, 00:21
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,818 posts
4. Re: Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question

I'd also opt for a taxi. The airport isn't too far away from the center and they are readily available.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question

"The airport is MAD"

I found it pretty bonkers too!

Pueblo Nuevo de...
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
129 reviews
6. Re: Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question

If your hotel is in Madrid city centre then just get a taxi, it is a a fixed rate fare of €30

Harrisburg...
8 posts
7. Re: Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question

Thanks everyone for the replies, I guess we will try the taxi, it seems to be the overwhelming choice

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question

My experience of MAD is that it is a relatively efficient airport. Last time I flew there I was on ground transport within 30 minutes of landing, even with customs and immigration. I didn't have any checked luggage, though as it was a 24 hour visit.

Reply to: Traveling from ROME to Madrid airport arrival question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted