We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

Hi, I need some help!

My ESTA was approved in August 2017. I was traveling to the United States from September 27, 2017 until December 10, 2017 when I returned to Spain.

On January 18, 2018, I wanted to go to the United States for a week. At the Barcelona airport when I went to get my ticket for boarding they told me that I could not travel, because my ESTA was showing "unauthorized trip". Does anyone know the possible causes? Will it be approved again? Should I try to get a new one in a few months? I have not done anything out of the legal. I do not understand what happened.

Thank you

40 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,813 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

Does anyone know the possible causes? - How did you leave the USA, I can only assume your exit was not recorded and the authorities think you exceeded the 90 day limit for the ESTA.

UK
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

If your ESTA gets revoked you should normally get an email explaining the reason.

Have you logged on to the ESTA website to see what the status is showing on there.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

I thought so. But being all computerized, how can it happen that they do not have proof that I took a plane and left the country?

In my ESTA status NO UNAUTHORIZED JOURNEY appears.

I have not received any email notifying me of the change of status, or the reasons.

I am contacting via email and through forms to "customers borders services" and U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP). But for now I have no answer but it took about 50 days to solve my doubts. As long as you follow the whole process well.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,375 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

sorry, are you saying the issue is resolved? What took 50 days?

IF the issue is not resolved there is a phone number to call -- top question on the right side of this webpage has that number in the ESTA article

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,031 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

I would not think that your ESTA has been cancelled. You have left the USA before 90 days (after around 75 days).

Your issue could be related to a re-entry very close to an exit. As a rule of thumb, you should stay as many day outside the US as you have been in the US. Or, not to spend more than 90 days in any 180 days period.

Now, that requirement is not written as it is not the law. But still it should be a reasonable amount of time.

I recommend to contact the nearest US Consulate and to tell them why you want to go back to the US so short time after you left. What they want to make sure is: 1.) That you will return to your home country. 2.) That you have enough resources to sustain these visits without the need to work illegally. 3.) That you are not mis-using the ESTA programme when you should apply for a visa.

Depending answer, you might have to apply for a normal visa.

Edited: 20 January 2018, 13:40
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

No, the problem is not solved. After sending a form I must wait around 50 days. But now I look at the phone number, maybe they'll clarify something. Thank you

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

From what you tell me, by that same rule of three, my ESTA should be "authorized" again after this lapse of time?

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

in any case, is there a difference between "cancellation of ESTA" and "unauthorized travel"? I mean, my ESTA has not been denied?

This is really complicated, and there are no sites that explain it to you one hundred percent, or make it clear to me that my ESTA is once again authorized to travel.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,375 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

No one here works for the US Government or DHS which issues ESTA. Given the US government shutdown, while airports will be manned, I don't know if they will staff those phone lines.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,558 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"

"But being all computerized, how can it happen that they do not have proof that I took a plane and left the country?"

Doesn't help you at all, but 2 friends of mine, sisters, travelled to the U.S. last year, to meet up for a flight to Tahiti. They have the same surname but obviously not the same first names, dates of birth (or even country of birth), or current addresses, as they live in different countries, and had different documents, one a visa and the other an ESTA. On Wednesday, Sister 1, with a U.S. visa, flew from country A and had no problems entering the U.S.; on Thursday, Sister 2, with an ESTA, attempted to fly from country B - and was denied boarding. The airline said her ESTA was not valid for that flight because, according to the U.S. authorities' computer, she had already entered the USA the day before! In other words, the arrival of the sister with the VISA was used to cancel the ESTA of the other sister...who had to get a VISA before she could fly.

So much for "being all computerised"! I'm not saying that your ESTA has been invalidated because of something someone else may have done (although that can clearly happen), but unfortunately, with the American administration shut down, you will get no information from any U.S. government service now, or for that matter be able to apply for a visa if you wanted one.

Reply to: ESTA authorized, but now "unauthorized trip"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted