We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

1 post
2 reviews
Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

Hi guys,

On my next trip I am going to fly with delta a lot and KLM. And I am just wondering if they pursue their carry on rules pretty strict. My carry on bag would be 60x35 cm and their allowances for cm is 56x35.

I know I should normally buy one who fits the rules but I don't want to spent the money yet. And I would just borrow it because normally I never take a carry on luggage with me. But this trip is 4 weeks long, so I might need some more space.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Cheers

Simon

9 replies to this topic
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

I don't know about Delta but KLM are fairly relaxed about it most of the time. However more recently I have seen them paying more attention. Your problem is that if they should decide to put your bag in the cage it will not fit, it will then cost you money to travel with it.

Having to pay to check it in will probably cost more than buying one

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,197 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

My experience with Delta is that the more crowded the plane the stricter they will be. If it’s a full flight I’ve seen gate agents walk the gate area eyeing carry ons and then asking people to put them in a sizer.

If your bag is soft-sided and not packed tight you might manage. Have electronics, meds, valuables ready to pull out and take on board with you if you are asked to gate check.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,410 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

I fly Delta very frequently and have never seen carry on baggage measured. Your worst case scenario with a bag that slightly oversized is that they would ask you to gate-check it.

Of course the best advice is to follow the rules so you don't have to risk getting the one agent who enforces them strictly. But for years I pushed the limits with a bag that was only slightly over the requirement, like yours, and was never confronted over it.

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
182 reviews
4. Re: Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

On my regular MAN to AMS flight they frequently ask to check bags, but they never charge.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,410 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

D0bby - are you flying out of an airport with regional jets? I wonder if that's why our experiences have been different. Since I live in Atlanta and don't usually travel with Delta to smaller airports, I rarely have to fly RJs, which definitely have tighter space allowances.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,318 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

60cm is quite long. I’ve got a 55cm wheeled duffle bag and I struggle to fit in lengthways in some overhead lockers. With 60cm, I would,think (if it’s a rigid case), you’d need to turn it sideways taking up space intended for 2 bags

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
42,180 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

I think the problem would be closing the overheads. 1.5" is quite a lot bigger. You've got to push your bag in hard to shut the overheads even when they are the correct size. You cant put it in the other way or you're talking up someone else's bag safe.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
90 reviews
8. Re: Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

Rick, I see the checkin staff inspecting carryons more often and time recently wanted to take the carryon of a biz class passenger and charge him for it. The staff did not realize the there is extra allowance, this was in EDI.

At the gate they will take for the hold it if it is deemed too big.

For the last ten years I have not had anyone bothering with mine ,however recently even at sky priority desk they look it over and put a blue or yellow band on it. Boarding the plane without the band no longer seems possible.

UK
Level Contributor
9,486 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Delta's/KLM carry on allowance

Taking something that doesn't fit lengthways is just anti-social - it's like taking up two parking spaces in a full car park.

Just DON'T DO IT.

If you can afford to travel you can afford to buy a new suitcase. You don't need to get a Rimowa or a Samsonite. Just get your local supermarket's own brand which will probably cost you no more than a few drinks in a pub.

Edited: 22 January 2018, 13:59
Reply to: Delta's/KLM carry on allowance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted