We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair - second small hand luggage size - checks?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Ryanair - second small hand luggage size - checks?

I get that my little suitcase will be put in the hold for free but to what extent are they checking the size of the second smaller piece of carry-on luggage? I’ve never had to worry before as I’ve paid for hold luggage so my 20 litre hand luggage has been well within the parameters as a first piece of hand luggage. I note that it’s now just outside the parameters of the second piece 35x20x20. Are they checking these stringently? Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,823 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Ryanair - second small hand luggage size - checks?

Well they've bought all new measuring cages so I would them to be used, at least for a while. Other people's experiences are irrelevant. It's down to the gate agent on the day.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,639 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Ryanair - second small hand luggage size - checks?

the measurements are there for a purpose, and i doubt that they would specify these measurements if they were not going to enforce them. stick to the rules and you have nothing to worry about.

Italy
Level Contributor
9,070 posts
3. Re: Ryanair - second small hand luggage size - checks?

It needs to fit under the seat. If it doesn't they might bring the cane out.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,228 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Ryanair - second small hand luggage size - checks?

"I note that it’s now just outside the parameters of the second piece 35x20x20. Are they checking these stringently? "

Even if someone tells you they aren't (in my experience they judge by eye which bags need checking), are you prepared for the consequences if it IS checked, and found to be oversized? Is the bag soft enough - and under-packed enough - to stand a chance of squishing into the cage, or is it going to be obvious that it doesn't fit?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Ryanair - second small hand luggage size - checks?

Thanks for the above pointers. It will only have the travel docs, passports etc in it really so I guess it’ll squish into the cage no problem - I’m taking it to use at the other end when sightseeing. Worst case scenario I’ll put it in my 10kg case (that I’ve paid to bring on board)...?

Italy
Level Contributor
9,070 posts
6. Re: Ryanair - second small hand luggage size - checks?

If it fits. But if it fits why not put in to begin with? Or get one of the countless bags that are the exact size required?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,823 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Ryanair - second small hand luggage size - checks?

It will still have to weigh no more than 10kg if you put your other bag in it.

Reply to: Ryanair - second small hand luggage size - checks?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted