We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 hour 25 minute connection for International Delta flight?

1 post
1 hour 25 minute connection for International Delta flight?

Hello! Yesterday I purchased flights to travel from Edinburgh, Scotland to Indianapolis, US. I land at JFK Kennedy airport and have only 1 hour 25 minutes to catch the next flight.

Upon landing I'm assuming I'll have to go through immigration and customs, collect my baggage since it's the first point of entry into the US, check them in and go through security again? I'm panicking because last June in Newark I was held by customs and it took around 3 hours to do everything mentioned after having my bags checked and questioned. The customs queue in itself was a 30 minute wait! Even if I wasn't held the whole process would have taken longer than 1 hr 25 mins.

Is this a mistake? Will my bags be checked through to the final destination - Indianapolis?

The flight to JFK is through Delta and the connecting flight is with

Endeavour Air DBA Delta connection. I booked it altogether as suggested on the Delta site. I'm a 23 year old female travelling alone, I really don't want any stress. I just don't understand why Delta seem to think this is feasible. Should I try and change the connecting flight to a later time?

6 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
118 reviews
1. Re: 1 hour 25 minute connection for International Delta flight?

Ideally I'd recommend three hours to make the connection. If you can cancel the flight and get the next later flight to Indy, I'd do that. I guess it's feasible but everything would have to go perfectly, no delays on the inbound flight, no hold ups at immigration or customs or security. You'd have to really hurry through the airport.

Your bags will be tagged to Indy but you have to claim them in JFK, your point of entry to the USA, carry them through customs, then drop them again at a re-check desk after you exit customs.

Level Contributor
513 posts
1 review
2. Re: 1 hour 25 minute connection for International Delta flight?

Maybe this short connection itinerary was cheaper than the "safer" connection itinerary? Airlines often price the fares differently depending on degree of desirability. So I would have to question why you chose this schedule in the first place, when you know it would be tight.

You can call Delta and ask them, and a nice one may change without charge, or charge you the differences in fares if any. Don't know, worth calling though. Or if it's still within 24 hrs of purchase you can cancel and rebook.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
54,533 posts
1,819 reviews
3. Re: 1 hour 25 minute connection for International Delta flight?

While that itinerary might be doable, it is not one, which I would consider.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
115 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: 1 hour 25 minute connection for International Delta flight?

Even if you are a US citizen traveling on a US passport, that connection time is going to be super tight. As others have said, you will need to reclaim your luggage and take care of that as well as going through Immigration and TSA again.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but best case scenario - wear your running shoes. Otherwise, I'd see how much the change fee is. If your first flight is delayed at all, your transit time has gone from super tight to no chance.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: 1 hour 25 minute connection for International Delta flight?

I would ask to bump the connection to a later flight. You might make it, but maybe your bags won't ... or vice versa.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: 1 hour 25 minute connection for International Delta flight?

<<Even if I wasn't held the whole process would have taken longer than 1 hr 25 mins. Is this a mistake? >>

I give you a fair chance to miss your connection.

Now, as your flights are all on one ticket, you have the following options:

1.) Keep the booking, and in case you should miss the connection, get re-booked on the next flight with available seats. I would do that, if I arrive early enough in JFK to make sure that there is one or two other flights the same day. So, please check your plan B.

2.) ask to change the booking now (for free) and then have for sure enough time to catch the next flight. Personally I would like to have around 3 hours in JFK (not holding US passport).

<<I really don't want any stress.>> Things can go wrong. Therefore a good plan B, does take the stress away. Missing a connection will happen sometimes, however.

Edited: 26 February 2018, 01:23
Reply to: 1 hour 25 minute connection for International Delta flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted