We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

Hi!

I arrive at Chicago O´Hare, terminal 1, at 4.55 pm with United Airlines. My connecting flight it to Copenhagen with SAS at 10.05 pm from terminal 5. As I am moving back to Europe after a year in the US, I will be traveling with a carry-on and a back-pack, a big suitcase, a guitar in a hard-shell case, and possibly an additional suitcase if needed.

What is the most efficient way to get from terminal 1 to 5? How long does it take to get to terminal 1 from terminal 5? Will I have to get my luggage at terminal 1 and recheck it at terminal 5? Will I have to pass through security in terminal 5?

Thank you for your response!

43 replies to this topic
Chicago
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
1 review
1. Re: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

Is this on one ticket, or separate tickets? If separate, you will need to pick up your bags, take them to T5, and recheck them. If on one ticket, the bags will be transferred for you, and you ust need to get yourself to T5. If you can take the airside transfer from T3, you can bypass going through security at T5. it runs until I think 7:30 pm, and you would have to walk to T3 and show your boarding pass. Otherwise, you exit T1 and take the airport tram, or shuttle bus if on a weekday after May 30 due to construction, to T5, where you will reclear security. As the shuttle bus hasn't started yet, no one knows how long it will take, but you have ample time to make the transfer.

Note that if this is two tickets, you will need to go landside to pick up your bags, and your only option will be to take them on the tram or bus to T5.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,437 posts
451 reviews
2. Re: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

SAS and United are both Star Alliance carriers so I'm assuming this is one ticket and your bags will be checked through to CPH. You probably should look at the baggage allowance and the costs you will incur for additional bags as it could be substantial. If you're looking to check as many as three bags you will likely be paying a pretty good fee.

Have fun.

Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

Thank you! I'm only checking in two items.

Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

Do you know how long it'll take to get from terminal 1 to 5?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,779 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

You can only carry on 2 items.

B.

Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

I am aware, and I will only bring two

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

"Do you know how long it'll take to get from terminal 1 to 5?"

It depends on whether you walk over to T3 to catch the inside security transfer bus or exit the security area at T1 to use the airport transit system. Either way, if this is on one ticket, a little over 5 hours is more than enough time. Probably shouldn't take more than 20 to 30 minutes (including waiting for the next bus/tram) to get from T1 to T5.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

You didn't mention when you are travelling. Again, be aware the ATS will be completely shut down beginning Weds. May 30 and shuttle busses will be available. Trying to guestimate the bus timing us just that. I have known some people that do to luggage/mobility issues have Uber'd or taxi from T1 to T5, the drivers hate it but in a pinch one must do what they have to.

https:/…ATS.aspx

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

According to a poster airside transfer from T3 to T1 closed down as of 5/30/18. Does anyone know if it has re-opened as of September 2018.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
1 review
10. Re: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5

To get between T1and T3, one would walk airside, there is no transfer bus.

If you meant T5, the airside bus runs from T3 until I think 8:30 pm. The landslide airport tram is shut down on weekdays due to work being done on it but there is a shuttle bus in it’s place.

Reply to: Chicago O'Hare transfering from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted