We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

Hi.

I've seen a great price on flights, but there's a change at Berlin Schonefeld, and it's with Kiwi.com.

Having read on here and elsewhere, I'm reluctant to book through them as there seems to be too many horror stories.

So, if I book my tickets through both airlines,what's the score with security at Berlin?

Do I have to exit via Arrivals, then re-enter through Departures, or can I just make my way to Connecting Flights?

I will be checking in online and will only have hand luggage.

The time between my first flight landing and my second flight departing is 3 hours.

16 replies to this topic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
41,917 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

If you are flying to Schonefeld from your nearest airport, then it must be either Easyjet or Ryanair...so I would buy tickets directly from the airline because as far as security/immigration at Schonefeld it won't make any difference who you buy with, the procedure will be the same.

Where else are you flying?

Edited: 21 June 2018, 10:49
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

I'm flying Wizzair from Skopje - Berlin, then Ryanair from Berlin to Stansted.

My main concern is security and exiting and entering it as I have very little time. If I can just head to connecting flights, I shouldn't have any problems if they're on time.

Never been to this airport, so no idea how big it is though.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,655 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

There's absolutely no point booking this with Kiwi.com, just book two seperate tickets from the relevant airlines. I would want at least a couple of hours between flights and probably more if you have checked luggage. With 3 hours you would usually be fine but aa always with seperate tickets, you need to be prepared for the possibility that you miss your connection.

Edited: 21 June 2018, 11:32
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,516 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

".... but aa always with seperate tickets, you need to be prepared for the possibility that you miss your connection".

=================

And if you miss the connection (it's not a true connection with separate tickets) you'll have to buy a new ticket.

Type Kiwi into the forum search engine, read all the horror stories and then run run run away.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

As I mentioned, I have read about Kiwi.

My initial thought was if I book through them I would be covered if I miss any flights, but having read the horror stories I will steer clear.

My only concern, as I have mentioned is, am I allowed to head straight to Connecting Flights? I will only have hand luggage.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

I've always been under the impression, if you have separate tickets you have to go landside to check in on the next flight. This is because the next airline believes it is your first flight. Now the confusion comes when perhaps you don't have separate tickets maybe you have one ticket with two different airlines on some sort of codeshare. There's often confusion about what exactly separate tickets are.

I've never been to Berlin perhaps things work differently there. I recommend you post in the Berlin forum perhaps the members can help. I also recommend you find out if you actually do have separate tickets.

Edit - your first post says "if I book directly with both Airlines." That would indeed suggest that you have separate tickets.

Edited: 21 June 2018, 12:25
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,308 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

I'm not at all sure that there is a connecting flights passage through SXF,I think you have to go out and back through security. I suggest that you ask on the Berlin forum. If your first flight isn't more than 90 mins late then there is no problem as it is a small airport

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

I will definitely have separate tickets as I plan to book individual flights directly through the relevant airlines.

If I have to go landside I doubt I would make my connection.

The thing is, I will check in online prior to either of the flights, and will print my own boarding pass, so I don't fully understand the reason why I would have to leave air side.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
41,917 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

If it's same as Tegel, then I think bongoblog is right, but 3 hours is plenty in an airport which is not huge. There is a later Ryanair flight, but that would mean a lot of hours in between flights.

You can make enquiry via Schonefeld airport's website.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,308 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines

The airport was never designed to have connecting flights, most of the airlines that use it are low cost point to point airlines. It was meant to have been replaced by a new airport some years ago but due to problems that will not be for another year or more now.

Reply to: Connecting Flights - Different Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted