We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar changing price during reservation process

Honolulu
Level Contributor
4 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Jetstar changing price during reservation process

I have attempted to book a flight from Honolulu to Horbart via Kayak. Twice on separate days I have clicked a link taking me to Jetstar's website entered all my information and clicked the book tab only to receive a message telling me the flight was not available. When I rerun the search the same flight is listed at a higher fare.

This could be the result of capacity pricing assuming several people were completing their transaction seconds before mine was processed, however the first time was two days ago and when I ran my search today they posted the fare quoted two days ago. So twice on two separate days I have received a quote on their website and had it go away during the booking process. Only to show up later at the original lower price.

I have experienced prices being posted on Kayak but not being available when transferred to the airline's website. But I have always been informed the price is no longer available before the booking information is entered (including Jetstar's website).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it likely a system issue or is Jetstar trying a web bait and switch? I am aware they are known for listing very low fare then maximizing revenue every way possible (I have seen them charge $150 US for a standard checked bag because the customer did not buy checked baggage on-line). But this seams very un-ethical.

9 replies to this topic
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
202 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetstar changing price during reservation process

Yes, the pricing that you see isn't "live" pricing. When you go to book the trip, it retrieves the actual price to present to you after having been baited by the less expensive price. This is one of the numerous disadvantages of booking with a third party. Did it take you directly to jetstar or some other site to book? I would recommend searching directly with the airline. The airline sites also tend to do a better job of making it clear what is included and what is extra (luggage fees, seat selection, refund, changing tickets, etc).

Edited: 21 June 2018, 14:49
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetstar changing price during reservation process

Don't book through Kayak, just book directly with the airline. There are no magic cheap fares.

Honolulu
Level Contributor
4 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar changing price during reservation process

Took me to Jetstar's site. As I noted I have occasionally had them notify me a price was no longer available, but always at the beginning of the transaction, not after it was priced, the booking and payment info entered and I clicked the link to pay.

4. Re: Jetstar changing price during reservation process

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 June 2018, 16:28

Honolulu
Level Contributor
4 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetstar changing price during reservation process

I use Kayak to compare prices, they usually (as in this case reroute you to the airline's web page. In this case the Jetstar web page posted the advertised price all the way through the booking process until I went to pay for it. Then the change. Do not think the issue is with Kayak, i have used them for scores of flights.

Honolulu
Level Contributor
4 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetstar changing price during reservation process

I stand corrected it was a third party travel agent. Simular look to Jetstar's web site

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetstar changing price during reservation process

Jetstar is a low cost carrier. As with most LCC's, there are no cheaper fares available on 3rd party site, so just book direct.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jetstar changing price during reservation process

The problem can also be the number of tickets you want. When you try to finish the transaction, if you request more seats than are still available at the lower fare you'll automatically be bumped to the next fare for all tickets.

As has been mentioned before, you may not be seeing "live" prices when you do your initial search.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,181 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jetstar changing price during reservation process

"I use Kayak to compare prices, they usually (as in this case reroute you to the airline's web page."

No they don't as you have found out:

"I stand corrected it was a third party travel agent."

The unnamed third party ticket flogger does not have have live prices, so when you asked them to buy a ticket for you they then find the true price from Jetstar. This has nothing to do with the number of tickets.

Book direct.

http://booknow.jetstar.com/

Edited: 21 June 2018, 21:01
Reply to: Jetstar changing price during reservation process
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted