We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

Level Contributor
25 posts
How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

Few days ago, I booked a one way flight from Singapore to Manila, Philippines through trip.com. However, I noticed that the booking confirmation they sent got my middle name and last name switched. I am sure I entered the correct details that's why I was really wondering what could have happened. It was my first time booking with trip.com so when I saw the confirmation, I panicked. I couldnt reach their customer service at that time too. Ive heard stories about errors on your plane ticket will make your ticket invalid especially if its an international flight.

I cancelled my booking just 5 mins after I received the confirmation. But my ticket has not been issued yet. According to their policy the amount I paid for should be credited to my credit card after 10 days after I cancelled.However, i do not know if it will be really credited to my account. My mistake was I didnt even bother to check if they were legit in the first place and now I am worried they wont give me a refund.

12 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

So why didn't you book directly with the Hampton? Surely a time of emergency like this is exactly the time to go directly to the hotel, not faff around with shonky third parties.

Maitland, Florida
3 posts
2. Re: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

misskarenskater, we could not get our call to go through. In fact, we had spent a couple of hours trying to find safe accommodation—we either could not get a call to go through to the hotel or they had no vacancies, but you are of course correct. It was a mistake, but when I was desperately trying to get my family to safety (they had no internet), I saw the trip.com offer and booked. They were prevented from evacuating to the hotel by flooded roads. My complaint is that they said they’d call the hotel to verify the details (understandable; after all, I could have been making up the story), but didn’t. It is a lesson learned, for sure; it’s also hopefully a situation that we will never face again in our lifetime. And TripAdvisor offers a forum for giving honest opinions about one’s experiences. When someone takes the time to do research on trip.com, I hope they see this review and do exactly as you suggest.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
3. Re: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

pwuest216 - you will likely find your duplicated posts removed. Since this is the "Air Travel" board you are probably best sticking to the Bargain Travel board where you have posted multiple times already

Maitland, Florida
3 posts
4. Re: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

Thank you, Carol G. I thought they weren’t posting; hence the duplication. Appreciate the tip! #rookie Still trying to help my family get out of a miserable situation.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

Trip.com is legit.

Trip.com is the main new name for Ctrip.com, which is the world’s 3rd largest OTA with bookings in the range of US$40 billion a year, behind Expedia and Priceline. It is based in China, it’s main market is China, almost a monopoly OTA in China.

In China, you usually don’t buy ticket from airlines directly, most buy tix from Ctrip or trip.com. It’s hotel bookings have more complaints, less on tix.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,222 posts
171 reviews
6. Re: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

World's largest or whatever means nothing. There are many horror stories floating on the internet regarding Ctrip. A very close friend of mine had purchased plane tickets from Ctrip. When she called the airline to reserve seats, the airline told her they were issued using frequent flier miles (illegal per airline rules). Based on this reason, I would not use Ctrip or Trip.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

I used Ctrip for air tix about a dozen times or more for many years, inside China, Asia regional flights, never any problem, and prices almost always cheaper, sometimes US$100s cheaper.

Never used Ctrip or trip.com for hotel booking yet. But in addition to all major hotels, it has 1,000s or 10,000s of Chinese local class budget dirt cheap hotels not found on any international OTAs, no star or 1-2 stars hotels, too cheap for my business travel, but millions who need $15-$20-$25 a night hotels in China, Ctrip or trip.com is the place to go find them, if not the only English source.

Regardless what one likes or hates, it is legit and huge.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 01:35
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,928 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

“Regardless what one likes or hates, it is legit and huge.”

“A very close friend of mine had purchased plane tickets from Ctrip. When she called the airline to reserve seats, the airline told her they were issued using frequent flier miles (illegal per airline rules).”

===========

If they’re issuing tickets that violate airlines’ terms and conditions then that’s not legit at all. They may be hiding and protected in China (and being “huge” just because they’re in China doesn’t mean they act legit) but Sammy’s example is a very good reason to not touch them with a barge pole.

And btw SkyScanner is now owned by Ctrip/Trip. So I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole either.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,222 posts
171 reviews
9. Re: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

To complete the Ctrip story, she then called Ctrip and complained. Ctrip did issue her parents real paid tickets and also gave her around USD300 worth of credit. However, it was such a pain that she said she would rather not use Ctrip again next time. Since that episode, I have done a bit more research on Ctrip and noticed that hers was not an isolated incident. Buyer beware.

As another aside, if one has ever looked on the Ctrip website for hotels, the room classifications are often very strange. In a lot of cases, you can't seem to get the exact same room to match the hotel's own site's descriptions. Smoking preference isn't always stated either. Some rooms might have be China market only. Overall, it's just too messy for me to consider using.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
63 reviews
10. Re: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?

Same horror stories with every OTA in the world, yet strangely the big 3 each get bigger every year by about US$10 billion in bookings, long ago passed US$100 billion annual bookings just among the top 2. In comparison, United Airlines annual revenue is $20 billions, Ctrip did over US$40 billions bookings a year or 2 ago. There will always be complainers, comes with the territory.

Reply to: How legit is Trip.com? Any first-hand experience?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted