We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
86 reviews
Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

Looking for some clarification on transiting through Shanghai Pudong Airport. There seems to be a lot of 'horror stories' and conflicting information across the web, so I'm hoping this forum can help clarify things. Surely it can't be as bad as some people claim?

I'm looking to book reward flights from MEL to KIX (and return) via China Eastern (MU) business class. There would be a stop in PVG for change of planes both ways. All flights MU coded, all on the one booking.

My questions:

- Will baggage get checked all the way through to KIX? I've read scenarios where the baggage tags may have the final destination, but still have to be collected in PVG.

- If staying airside at the airport, how many security screenings would be expected? I've read this can happen multiple times, but I'm guessing this may be people needing to clear customs/immigration to collect baggage?

- Worse case scenario (e.g. connecting flight in a different terminal), what is an appropriate amount of time to transit between flights at PVG?

From looking at the Shanghai Airport web site, it seems once landing in PVG you go to zone Q to confirm onward boarding pass, then zone R for immigration / security checks and then you're back airside to the departure gate? Seems pretty straightforward?

Thank you :)

10 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

Although the flights are MU coded are they actually operated by China Eastern or someone else?

For MU flights through PVG you do not need to collect your luggage.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I can see the flights are operated by China Eastern - no sign of codesharing or another airline mentioned.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
224 reviews
3. Re: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

Book one ticket. Expect issues. 2-3 hour layover minimum. Not a good airport for connections in China, oddly enough. I normally end up in the wrong immigration line resulting in the noted 2-3 hour layover minimum. Never quite clear on the required paperwork. I have transited via PVG multiple times, for reference.

Edited: 02 September 2018, 04:33
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

Hi!

If you book one ticket, both flights through China Eastern, do you think 1.5 hours in not enough? They have changed our flight leaving next week; now our international arrival into PVG is 1710 hr (5:10 pm) and the international departure time from PVG for our connecting flight leaves at 1845 (6:45 pm). We have no checked bags. Canadian passports if that at all matters.

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

Hi!

If you book one ticket, both flights through China Eastern, do you think 1.5 hours in not enough? They have changed our flight leaving next week; now our international arrival into PVG is 1710 hr (5:10 pm) and the international departure time from PVG for our connecting flight leaves at 1845 (6:45 pm). We have no checked bags. They are trying to delay our final destination by one whole day which is super irritating!

Canadian passports if that at all matters.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

PVG is an easy airport to transit when on a single ticket. A number of years ago, things were more complicated, hence older complaints, but now it is pretty straight forward.

Your bags will be checked to your destination at check in. You will be given both boarding passes at check-in..

Upon arrival at PVG follow the crowds to Immigration / Arrival area, but go to the left side when you reach the room, towards transit / transfer (there is usually an airport staffer that can point the way). They will check your boarding pass and passport before letting you through the Transit door. You will scan your passport and boarding pass in a kiosk just beyond the door, then follow the floor arrows to the elevator. Up one floor and through security. Done deal you are in the departure hall.

Flew through last month and my inbound flight's landing was delayed "due to weather" (it was sunny when we landed). We touched down with only 40 minutes before my connecting flight's departure time. Made it through without issue.

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

Thanks for the reassuring information! Was your full ticket through China Eastern? And your connecting flight international?

CE still has to approve the 1:35 hour layover as their minimum layover time on one ticket is 1:40 hour.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

You should have no problems pvg has improved their transit procedures so just follow the signs for transfer go through the passport scan show your boarding pass and through security and your done .i have been through there many times on a ce ticket both international flights .luggage was checked through no issues. Last time my inbound flight was delayed resul5ing in a 25min tansfer made it with time to spare .

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

@JotiR - Yes I was flying on a CE ticket, connecting international to international. I make flights via PVG several times a year between SE Asia and North America or northern Asia without any major issues to date.

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport

Thank you for all of your help!

Reply to: Transiting through Shanghai Pudong (PVG) Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted