We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Hong Kong?

Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
Layover in Hong Kong?

Hi all! I will be traveling from NY-Chiang Mai Thailand in November. I have a 2 hr, 25 minute layover in Hong Kong. The flights were booked together with Cathay Pacific, so I assume my bags should be checked through to Thailand and that I shouldn’t have to go through security/customs once reaching Hong Kong? Is this true? Is my layover long enough? I’m aware that if my flight is missed Cathay will have to rebook me no charge; but I would rather not

Miss my connecting flight!

6 replies to this topic
Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,417 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Layover in Hong Kong?

If it was a through ticket, i.e all booked as one ticket and not 2 seperate tickets , then you are covered in case a flight was delayed etc. Your luggage should also be booked all the way through if on one ticket.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,952 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Layover in Hong Kong?

A 2hr25 layover is absolutely fine. HKG is a very efficient airport for (true through ticketed) flight connections. All you will need to do is reclear security, and that is usually fast. It shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes from deplaning to being on the departure concourse, and quite possibly less. So you absorb and hour’s delay (maybe a little more) and stil make your connection.

Have a great trip. And enjoy Chiang Mai, a beautiful city.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,859 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Layover in Hong Kong?

You do have to go through security at the transfer point. You don't have to go through immigration though. You have plenty of time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,303 posts
171 reviews
4. Re: Layover in Hong Kong?

Your bags will be through checked for sure since both flights are with Cathay. 2:25 gives you a lot of extra cushion. You can even try to hit the free showers (bring your own towel). Note that showers are located at an area before you even clear transit security so follow the signs to gate 22.

https:/…shower-facilities

Level Contributor
156 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Layover in Hong Kong?

Thank you so much for your help everyone!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
6. Re: Layover in Hong Kong?

As others have said should be no worries , enjoy Chiang Mai :)

Reply to: Layover in Hong Kong?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted