We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

Short version: I booked Aeromexico flight and checked in with their mobile app, but the TSA didn't let me in because the boarding pass on the app was not valid. They told me Aeromexico often has this issue and asked me to print it out at their checking counter, but their checking counter is already closed. So I just couldn't go in with the boarding pass they gave me!? So in this situation, can I ask them refund me?(My flight is nonrefundable)

Long version: I booked AeroMexico by calling BoA Merrill Lynch Travel center because I have points on them. They booked a basic economy ticket which is non-refundable, so I called them again I want a normal economy ticket. They apologized, helped me rebooked the ticket, and this one is STILL basic economy..I don't want to bother called them again so I took it. This was the beginning of the tragic..

I booked a parking ticket because my house is long distance to SFO, and I arrived about 2 hours before the plane took off. However the parking ticket I printed out was not working so I had to call to open the parking lot gate. That's how I missed one shuttle that comes each 20 mins, then the next shuttle didn't stop...so we wasted about 40 to 50 mins at the parking lot, and took the third shuttle we saw, that only left us 50 mins at the airport, so I downloaded AeroMexico's app and do the mobile checked in. This was the second step of the tragic..

When I arrived the airport, the AeroMexico's checking counter is already closed, and TSA didn't let us in because the mobile boarding pass is not valid. We called the checking counter at the help desk, and the AeroMexico's custom service told me I should be at checking desk at 7PM, which is 5 hours before the plane took off, and she told me my flight was already took off, which is a lie because the flight board showed it was boarding. Then she just hang up the phone. WTF?? I couldn't board the plane with the boarding pass they gave me??

I already travelled back a week ago, and the AeroMexico said it's a non-refundable ticket and don't want to help me. What can/should I do?

PS: AeroMexico is the worst airline I have ever seen, they don't want to help its customer at all and even lied to them, and takes no responsibility because of their own fault.

36 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
757 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

<So in this situation, can I ask them refund me?>

Sure, you can ask them; nothing stopping you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,142 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

'that only left us 50 mins at the airport, so I downloaded AeroMexico's app and do the mobile checked in. This was the second step of the tragic.. When I arrived the airport, the AeroMexico's checking counter is already closed, and TSA didn't let us in because the mobile boarding pass is not valid.'

If you had checked luggage and arrived at the airport 50 minutes before departure, then the boarding passes probably weren't part of the problem, as check in had closed for your flight. Once airport check in is closed it stays that way and can't be reopened by any ground agents.

'I booked Aeromexico flight and checked in with their mobile app, but the TSA didn't let me in because the boarding pass on the app was not valid. They told me Aeromexico often has this issue and asked me to print it out at their checking counter, but their checking counter is already closed.' If you went straight to security with your mobile boarding passes but the flight had closed then in essence you were will too late to travel.

You may be able to obtain the value of the ticket for future travel, but only Aeromexico can tell you that. Since you booked the ticket through a third party you may be eligible to have the points returned to you but that would be a generous gesture.

3. Re: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

Yeah I called them but got nothing back. I just want to see if someone had a similar situation and how get it resolved and what to expect..

4. Re: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2018, 01:06

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

<<I booked a parking ticket because my house is long distance to SFO, and I arrived about 2 hours before the plane took off. >>

It is recommended that for international flights that you arrive 3 hours prior to your flight's departure, which you did not do. In addition, AM states the following:

"For international flights, passengers with no luggage boarding pass must be in the boarding gate 40 minutes before your flight time.

On international flights, passengers who have boarding pass and luggage must be in the check-in counters 90 minutes before your flight time."

Doesn't sound like you did either. While not at SFO, we have had airport shuttles pass us by because the are already full, so you need to leave plenty of time in case this happens. You can't always catch the first shuttle.

This is not the first time I have heard of people having problems with mobile boarding passes. Even when boarding at the gate I have seen GA's struggle when the mobile pass doesn't want to scan. Personally I'd just rather print the passes at home at OLCI and not have to worry whether my phone is going to work or scan properly.

You may have a hard time getting anything from AM, as you clearly didn't meet their check-in requirements and as stated above, the flight may have already closed by the time you arrived.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

Don't airlines usually close online check in like 3 hours before the flight? So it just sounds like you didn't arrive to the airport in time and couldn't board your flight. If you've been offered travel credit, take it. The airline is being generous here.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
220 reviews
7. Re: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

For international flights, get there three hours ahead of departure minimum.

Based on the post the 3rd travel agent issues the wrong ticket, the parking site issues the wrong ticket, the parking site shuttle failed to stop, the airline issues the wrong boarding pass...

Berry, Australia
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
196 reviews
8. Re: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

**Well I am not happy that I missed the flight because of others' fault. **

Actually, no, it was 100% your fault, not the airline in any way, shape or form.

You arrived at carpark 2hrs before, that is mistake number 1. You should have arrived at carpark at least 3hrs before. This is the undeniable reason why everything else happened. This is the 1 issue that was totally within your control.

You missed the shuttle bus due to non-airline issues. You missed check in counter due to non-airline issues.

Sorry, but now you have to pay the stupid tax and learn a great lesson. You have no $$ coming your way.

Edited: 21 September 2018, 22:21
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,930 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

Sorry OP, but I’m with travellinallover.

This the perfect illustration of why you should *plan* to arrive 3 hours before departure. It’s not that you’ll necessarily need 3 hours at the airport, but in case you get delayed an hour getting there.

Stuff happens. You had issues parking your car. Next time it could be a car wreck on 101/280/San Mateo Bridge/wherever or a signal failure on BART.

Plan to arrive 3 hours before departure and get delayed an hour and you’re still okay. Plan for 2 hours and get delayed an hour and you’re potentially toast. In your case you were toast.

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
182 reviews
10. Re: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?

This is all your own fault.

Stop blaming Aero Mexico for your basic school boy errors.

Next time plan ahead, and plan to be at checkin 2 hrs ahead, not the car park.

Reply to: Refund if missed flight because of invalid boarding pass?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted