We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how do I check in for a British Airways flight

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
how do I check in for a British Airways flight

Just booked this week our first flying holiday for 23 years, Its booked with British Airways. Apparently every thing is electronic now, so paper tickets in the hand and a smiling face at a check in desk no longer exist. I get the bit where i have to check in on line, i dont understand it but i get it, I do want to know though, how do i use the electronic check in at the air port and the whole check in and then wheres security bit and then what to do getting through security, BA do a shed load of films but none cover checking in

21 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
866 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: how do I check in for a British Airways flight

You can still check in at the airport counter with BA if you wish, but if you haven’t done seat selection online in advance, you may find seat choice limited by that time. Below is the link to the relevant page for checking in with BA, there is also a guid to online check in.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/checking-in-and-boarding/checking-in?clickpage=resp-information--checking-in-and-boarding--index&kmtag=c&ban=||DHC|1x1|CTA1|||||||||L2|||||||

Edited: 22 September 2018, 02:56
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
170 reviews
2. Re: how do I check in for a British Airways flight

You'll be relieved to know check in desks still exist, and you can check in at the airport just as you always have done

London, United...
Level Contributor
866 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: how do I check in for a British Airways flight

Sorry, something wrong with that link. It will work if you copy and paste it into your browser, or use the below and click on the checking in section.

https:/…checking-in-and-boarding

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
604 reviews
4. Re: how do I check in for a British Airways flight

You can still check-in at the airport. For instance, in T5 there are self check-in machines but if you don't want to use these there are still some check-in desks.

However, most people find it more convenient to check-in online beforehand and arrive with their boarding pass already printed or on their mobile phone and the bar code on these is scanned to get through to the security area

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: how do I check in for a British Airways flight

Definitely login to the BA website 24 hours before your flight to have the best chance of getting seats together. Or do it now but you'll need to pay.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,272 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: how do I check in for a British Airways flight

I recommend OLCI (On Line Check In) at 24 hours before departure, and print off your own boarding pass. The boarding pass is your authority to pass through security and board the plane, you don't need a paper ticket as well. However if any of that is not possible BA will still issue you with a boarding pass at the Airport free of charge.

If you are checking luggage you will still need to go to bag drop.

Don't worry - it may be all computerised and self-service these days but there are roving staff who will help you.

Edited: 22 September 2018, 05:45
Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: how do I check in for a British Airways flight

Be sure to arrive before bag drop closes if you have luggage.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,916 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: how do I check in for a British Airways flight

If it's 23 years since you last flew anywhere at all, then you might want to also know that as well as some aspects of the check in procedures, much else about air travel has changed.

Far more people fly anywhere these days, so almost all airports are generally busier, so do allow yourself plenty of time to find your way around and to go through the checks that never existed like security.

Also, what you take with you on your trip is far more regulated, with rules for hand luggage and rules for checked luggage that can be strictly enforced, and varying allowances depending on the class of travel and type of ticket you purchased. Even whether you get any food or drink depends on where in the plane you sit.

Where are you flying from and to? That might make a difference, too.

If you have any specific questions, do ask!

SWT

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
9. Re: how do I check in for a British Airways flight

Gatwick to Jamaica, is the route, i know about seatss as i have prepaid to get the ones we want, where we want.

i know BA do smaller cabin bags than most, but i dont understand the difference between a cabin bag and a bring on bag?? and there weights.

if i do the check in thing on line and i get the tickets printed off and on the phone, then i turn up at the airport and deal with the luggage, its the airport checking in i dont understand

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,819 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: how do I check in for a British Airways flight

in the past you were issued a paper ticket and then at the airport a paper boarding pass. Now your ticket is an electronic ticket and stored with BA.com in their secure database (security is not guaranteed but I digress) so you have a record locator just like you did 23 years ago so you use that to check in online and you will be issued a boarding pass you can then print that boarding pass if it is a pdf file and bring that with you to the airport

When you get to the airport you can either use a counter or the kiosk to enter that booking number and follow the steps on the screen. You are not checking in. You are checking your bags for the flights just like you did 23 years ago. The overall process is the same --the way to do it may have changed

here is the link to the BA baggage page

https:/…baggage-essentials

it may take you to the US page or switch to the UK page

Edited: 22 September 2018, 14:08
Reply to: how do I check in for a British Airways flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted