We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,682 posts
168 reviews
American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

My wife and I are flying American from SFO to Merida, Mexico with an overnight layover in Miami

We land in Miami at 8:30pm and take off again for Merida the next day at 10:30am. The tickets were purchased with AA miles and as one ticket (not separate segments). What will happen with the luggage we check at SFO - will we need to claim it when we land in Miami? If so, will we need to pay a second baggage fee when we fly on to Merida the next day?

10 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,774 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

Hey Sean -- Long time no see. So that is where you are :-)

In any case, from what I have read, AA has a 12-hour policy for transferring bags in your circumstances but I have not seen it in print. Why don't you tweet to AA and see what they say

One thing I have noticed is that there are policies and there is staff who may not follow all policies to a T and may check your luggage through. But if the software does not let them do that then you may have to collect it

Some AA experts may know better

Edited: 22 September 2018, 14:58
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
268 reviews
2. Re: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

As above, it might get checked right thru, it might not.

Ohio
2 posts
1 review
3. Re: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

Their official policy is maximum 12 hours between flights. However, if you purchased a single ticket, it's possible they'll through check it. But, no guarantees. I would tweet @AmericanAir with your specific question.

Also, be aware if they don't through-check your bag, you'll have to pay a baggage fee again which you recheck your bag in Miami. They've spelled that out specifically in their conditions of carriage: https:/…conditions-of-carriage.jsp .

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,682 posts
168 reviews
4. Re: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

Thanks everyone - I've tweeted @AmericanAir and will let you know their response

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
118 reviews
5. Re: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

They should hold the bag. I've done this before although it's been a while.

As an FYI the Miami airport has a hotel right in the airport directly connected to the American terminal. The entrance is on the departures level right above/across from bag claim. You don't even need to leave the terminal. Very easy for an overnight stay to a connection the next morning.

Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
6. Re: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

Just my experience with AA: when we came back from Grand Cayman to DFW (Dallas Ft Worth) the tag was for my home destination but I had to pick up the luggage. Stayed overnight at airport hotel, checked in next day and did not have to pay extra fee. Oh, but that was because we had status maybe. But if your tag is to Merida, Mexico then don't remove it, maybe they won't charge ?/+-

(the trip was in 2015)

Edited: 22 September 2018, 18:26
New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,578 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

@6

You always have to retrieve your luggage at first point of entry by Air into the US prior to customs.

OP is departing the US not entering, different situation.

Edited: 22 September 2018, 18:38
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
8. Re: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

yeah you are right, but there was no option to recheck my luggage either for the next flight. I also remember from other times that most of the time, they don't hold luggage over a calendar day change. But like some said, there are inconsistencies.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

When I fly to Europe, I check my bags and don’t see them until I arrive at my destination, and I only fly American.

Edited: 22 September 2018, 20:42
Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
1 review
10. Re: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover

charlie209: that is not true in IAH, they have one stop and your luggage goes through. We've done it multiple tiems from CUN - IAH - Canada.

Reply to: American Airlines checked baggage with overnight layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted