We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

My passport expires in a couple of years so I'm trying to visit as many countries as I can in that time to get as much ink in my passport as possible. As a UK citizen, EU countries don't give me any stamps at all as far as I'm aware (even on request) and I now expect as much, so bigger mid/long haul trips are my only hope.

Anyway! Has anyone ever travelled to a country where you expected to have a stamp by immigration but were just ushered through without being given one? Or had to specifically request it before it was given?

I'm just a little worried that insisting to the border officer that a stamp be given would get me denied entry to the country or something for kicking up a fuss...

32 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,256 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

There is insisting and there is politely asking and giving reason why.

If I say that my passport was not stamped and I had to ask in DPRK or Israel 🇮🇱 or Afghanistan, would that affect your travel plans ? Are you planning a vacation to those countries ?

So your reason to visit many countries is just to get a stamp ? That is it ? Not to see the country?

Edited: 19 October 2018, 08:30
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
13,070 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

No stamps in Australia ... even if you ask.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,292 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

It's not just EU countries that never stamp passports of UK citizens. So, perhaps that might be what you should research.

However, as said, if you're going somewhere to just get a passport stamp, why bother?

I visit places because they interest me, but have few records of visiting some of them other than my photos.

Funnily, I do have a stamp to show I visited Israel - despite a promise that they would not stamp my passport.

SWT

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,420 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

Many governments capture information about who us entering and leaving electronically, and share intelligence. Hence why passports are not really stamped much anymore.

Save boarding passes if you want free souvenirs of where you have flown to!

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,838 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

Hi,

Some counties has flatly removed the “stamp” function from normal (or tourist) type entire — South Korea is one who recently moved to a piece of thermal paper given to you as your “stamp”...

So, IF you want a stamp, but the country involved just doesn’t do it anymore, then you’re probably out of luck.

Some other countries, still do it, but it may be at officer discretion.

As example, many US citizens (and LPRAs) will report that their passport won’t be stamped when they return to the US... but... you can request that it be stamped... and they (CBP) will usually do so.

So... first thing you need to know is “is the stamp function still used here?” If so, then you can always ASK for it to be stamped... but if the country moved to a non-stamp process - then you’re probably out of luck.

Travel Safe,

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,806 posts
6. Re: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

Since belomiser has mentioned Israel: Israel stopped stamping passports years ago. You can't get a stamp even if you ask. The free tourist visa is on a separate piece of paper. This of course means that if you want to go to a country that denies entry with proof of a visit to Israel, you won't have any problem.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,292 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

Shuffaluff - Interesting comment. I have an Israeli exit stamp from 'Jordan River Crossing' with a 2014 date in my current passport. So anybody can figure out I entered in order to leave!

SWT

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,256 posts
149 reviews
8. Re: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

Shuffaluff . I was kidding about DPRK and Afghanistan. Have no plans to visit those countries but not about Israel. In the past colleagues of mine made frequent SF to TLV trips and they had a separate US passport just for those trips. Then as you point out they don't stamp so we did not need two passports.

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
446 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

They do not stamp your passport when you enter Cuba.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,806 posts
10. Re: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?

Israel stopped stamping passports at Ben-Gurion (Tel Aviv) airport years ago. And recently, according to reports (no first-hand experience) Israel no longer stamps at land borders. But as Sussex points out, it's not rocket science...

Reply to: Immigration ever not stamped your passport when meant to?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted