We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,601 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

OK so I wanted to book a ryanair flight but due to my size, for my comfort and the convenience of other passengers I need to book an extra seat.

However I noticed that if I book an extra seat for a child they don't need to charge the UK APD tax on the child's seat hence saving £15 or so. I have no intention of taking a child with me of course, I am flying alone, but does anyone think that this will cause an issue at the gate when boarding?

I don't mind paying for an extra seat but I don't want to give the £15 to the UK Government in effect twice. In my mind Ryanair should not really care since I have paid them for the flight. I mean what would happen if I did this genuinely and for some reason the child could not fly with me.

Thanks in advance.

18 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
42,913 posts
62 reviews
95 helpful votes
1. Re: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

The APD is £13.

To book a child seat it would have to be in the childs name. If the "child" doesn't fly then they don't need a seat. The airline are free to resell it, or allocate it to another customer.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
13,253 posts
17 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

I think you’d be better booking the extra seat as a comfort seat as they describe here https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/he…

That way you get your 2 seats. If you book a. Hold seat and there is no child, they will treat that as a no show and it’s possible they will allocate the seat to someone else. I don’t know if they routinely overbook but if they do then there is a psoonility of having someone else in the seat.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,601 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
3. Re: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

Ryanair don't overbook as far as I am aware. They are only going to find out the child whose name is extra seat, is not flying when I get to the gate to board the aircraft. They won't have the possibility to resell the seat less that 15 minutes before the departure time.

I would have checked in online and done self service bag drop (at Eindhoven). I can't think of a reason for this to work but wondered if anyone had done it before.

BTW I have booked a spare seat before but put down 2 adults.

Edited: 20 October 2018, 13:19
Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
20,514 posts
61 reviews
77 helpful votes
4. Re: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

You still won't be able to guarantee that the seat next to you will stay empty. The cabin crew might move someone into it?

Not sure why you are asking as it seems like you are going to do it anyway?

Edited: 20 October 2018, 13:21
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
13,253 posts
17 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

Have you done the Comfort seat route where you put comfort seat instead of a passengers name? Do you still get charged additional Tax that way?

Edited: 20 October 2018, 13:50
Canada
Level Contributor
11,153 posts
91 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

Someone else trying to save a few bucks.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7. Re: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that APD is charged per passenger not per seat and you don't therefore pay it on extra "comfort" seats. You would need to phone the airline to book the seat though.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,601 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
8. Re: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

>>Someone else trying to save a few bucks.<< Sorry but do you have something constructive to say? Is there something wrong with saving money? I have given advice on these forum for years and appreciate it if someone has some advice for me. OK it is just a few quid but I am currently not working so every bit counts.

>>I'm sure I've read somewhere that APD is charged per passenger not per seat and you don't therefore pay it on extra "comfort" seats<<

I have booked this before on Ryanair and APD was charged on the other seat.Some airlines like KLM have a policy not to charge any tax on extra seats and actually give a 25% discount and will refund the extra cost if the flight is not full. Ryanair don't have this and will charge full price.

>>Not sure why you are asking as it seems like you are going to do it anyway?<<

Wow, no I wasn't. If I was then I would not bother asking in the first place. I was asking for advice and would make a decision based on that advice. Look it is only £15. I am not gonna worry about it. It was just kinda the principal of paying APD twice.

Thanks anyway but it seems no one really knows so let's leave it at that.

9. Re: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 October 2018, 17:06

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
42,913 posts
62 reviews
95 helpful votes
10. Re: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?

Post 9

I recommend you stop advertising!

Reported.

Edited: 20 October 2018, 16:58
Reply to: Booking child fare with ryanair but child does not fly?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted