We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa Personel Item Rules

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
211 posts
101 reviews
Lufthansa Personel Item Rules

Hello,

I will fly with Lufthansa next week and it is economy light and i have one carry-on baggage up to 8 kgs and also a personel item.

Personel item should be 40x30x10 cm. My bag is 48x35x24.

It won't be full, but i probably will need it. What is the possibility of that i will have a problem with that? Should i give up to take it with me?

Thank you!

(PS. https:/…B004YZD69Y

The backpack is that, it doesn't seem that much fat when it is not full.)

4 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Lufthansa Personel Item Rules

Hmm... yours is quite larger in size than the Lufthansa stipulation (according to what you write). I think you should bring a smaller personal item. They're not going to let you have that one with you in the cabin.

You see... it has to fit below the seat in front of you during take off and landing.

Edited: 20 October 2018, 15:52
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Lufthansa Personel Item Rules

That is a very large bag for a personal item. You may get away with it and you may not. At any point in the boarding process, assuming with no checked luggage and olci you won't engage with any staff till boarding, you could be required to check one of those bags. Exactly how that would work with Lufthansa is an unknown to me. But with the growing use 9f light baggageless fares I wouldn't be surprised if they are used to dealing with passengers who want to try carrying on more than the proper allowance.

Edited: 20 October 2018, 15:58
Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,843 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Lufthansa Personel Item Rules

Hi,

All of these “can I take it?” and “will this be ok?” qestiins really are both unanswerable and definable.

They are unanswerable because it will all fall down to who you encounter on that day of travel and their level of attention to detail... the reality is that enforcement of rules really is (unfortunately in my opinion) inconsistent and what they may do on Monday in Portland might possibly be different than what happens in San Francisco on Tuesday and what happens in Frankfurt in Wednesday.

The part about definable is that like most carriers- LH has objectively defined what is the maximum allowance.. they’ve used measurements that are not subjective but are clear and objective... so, there IS one and only one correct answer.

All that said, my answer will be this... No one can tell you what will or won’t happen to YOU.. they can share their own experience — but much like it is with movies or restaurants - what one person experiences on one day can be wildly different from that of someone else; even on the same day and time.

So... my follow up answer would be this “are you prepared to deal with any enforcement actions - like required payments - they may take against you for what will be (based solely on the data your given here) an objective case of non-compliance?

To me, there is a near fool-proof way to driving this issue to zero.. carry something that is within their stated limits.

Travel Safe,

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
211 posts
101 reviews
4. Re: Lufthansa Personel Item Rules

Thank you for the answers. .

I will take a smaller bag, it'd be better i guess.

Reply to: Lufthansa Personel Item Rules
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted