We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

13 posts
US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

I stupidly, accidentally, and carelessly clicked 'Yes' to eligibility question about being arrested / criminal charge.

This automatically denied my esta, and I am due to fly next Saturday 16th Nov 18.

I have been told the esta cant be reset and I now have to apply for a normal tourist immigrant visa.

I have managed to secure a morning appointment tomorrow (6th Nov) at the London Embassy.

Does anyone have experience in how quickly this will be processed? It gives me a total of 9 working days before I fly.

I'm hoping it will arrive in time otherwise I have lost a lot of money.

Thanks

26 replies to this topic
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,552 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

I doubt very much that anybody who does not work for the US embassy can give you a meaningful or accurate response to your question about how long it will take, from after your interview, to get the visa.

Apart from anything else, I doubt any of us have access to info like how busy they department that processes the visas are, or what current turn around times are looking like. If I were to say that when I applied for a visa a year ago, I got it back in just 7 days, that would not help you one jot! Oh, that's hypothetical, I have an ESTA.

Of course, when you do have your interview, I'd suggest you let them know what date you are due to fly and politely request that they take that into consideration. I'd doubt they would create unnecessary delays out of spite.

Did you only just now book this flight? The advice we always offer on this forum is to obtain your ESTA at the same time as booking tickets so that, if there is any issue, you have more time to fix it.

Travel insurance won't help with this situation if you cannot fly, but I hope you have some anyway in place. Yes, it would be a lot of money lost if the visa is not granted in time.

SWT

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
295 reviews
2. Re: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

Hi SWT, For me, I would buy my tickets after the esta is approved. Safer/

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
330 reviews
3. Re: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

When I attended the US embassy, I - and others - were given the VISA after the interview - you get a ticket to wait for the return of your passport which has the visa in it. That was 5 years ago, if it's the same then you'll get it tomorrow in your passport, if granted.

4. Re: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

Hi, I am in the exact same circumstance (same dates almost). How did you get an interview so quickly- I cannot book an appointment at London embassy at all. Thanks

13 posts
5. Re: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

I don't know - however there wasn't much point in going. They needed to see an ACRO report.

I dont think I'm going to make it as the report takes a few days to arrive so would get that organised asap. What a shambles!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

A very good lesson in why you should apply for an ESTA as soon as you book your trip, or if not then well in advance of travelling, and why you should double and triple check the answers you give before you submit the application.

13 posts
7. Re: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

Yes, however it's often too late by the time anyone gets to this forum.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,747 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

Calum. You don't need this forum to tell you how important it is to make sure the answers on your ESTA are correct.

I know how easy it is to make a mistake as I did it myself on my latest application. Luckily I wasn't able to finish the application because the error was flagged up when I did the verification section at the end of the form.

13 posts
9. Re: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

I am very aware at this point that mistakes happen. I'm simply just reaching out to anyone who has had this issue, which it seems is far too common.

13 posts
10. Re: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!

Hello - have you had any luck?

Reply to: US Esta Denied, Visa Applied..Help..!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted