We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

Hi all! I will be on a 16 hr flight from NY to Hong Kong in 2 weeks. I am booked on economy, but was debating putting in a bid for premium economy if I am offered the ability to do so. I’ve read so many mixed reviews about Cathay’s premium economy seats being even more uncomfortable than regular economy. Honestly, my only concern is IN FLIGHT comfort. I don’t care about better food, priority boarding, no extra bathroom for premium economy, etc. I don’t do well sleeping on planes and this is my first ever 16 hour flight so you can say I’m a bit nervous. When you consider the seat comfort/recline alone, is it worth paying more on Cathay for the premium economy? Thank you!

14 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
26 reviews
27 helpful votes
1. Re: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

Premium economy gives you more space (mostly in pitch). And the more space you have, the more comfortable it actually gets, especially on ultra long haul flights.

<<is it worth paying more on Cathay for the premium economy>> That is a very personal question. And to answer it, you should think, what you could do else with this money, and then try to figure out what has the higher value to you.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
2. Re: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

I agree , it is mainly extra legroom / space , whether it is worth it or not is down to the individual. Perhaps look at some recent Youtube clips of PE to get a good idea of what to expect and if you feel it is worth the extra

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
51 reviews
98 helpful votes
3. Re: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

I just did 4 flights of between 11 and 14 hours each in CP PE. IMO it was well worth it as far as comfort goes. The seats are wider. The pitch is better (although if the person in front of you reclines it really reduces your space) The seats didn't seem uncomfortable to me, but then again I have never sat in a CP Economy seat so I don't really know what they are like. You get a nice blanket and pillow and I slept well for an hour or two. Which is all I ask really.

I'm tall and fairly chubby ;) and I like my comfort.

ETA - it is also somewhat airplane dependant. The A350 was much nicer than the other 3 legs which were on a B777

Edited: 08 November 2018, 17:08
Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

It is worth it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
49 reviews
112 helpful votes
5. Re: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

If it's a bidding thing then research the benefits of PE over economy, determine how much you'd pay for those benefits and bid that amount.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
63,548 posts
175 reviews
175 helpful votes
6. Re: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

The primary benefits of PE for me are extra legroom, wider seats (not sharing an armrest is important), and less disturbance in the cabin. Food is ok but nothing to rave about. A minor benefit is earning miles. PE gives you 110% always, but economy discounted fares often give you 50% or less.

Worth is subjective. I wouldn't pay double to fly PE but if you can find a deal between 20% to 50% more than the economy ticket, it's worth consideration.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

I did Vancouver to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific's premium economy. I would definitely go for it! It was wonderful not having to fight for an arm rest and the cabin is much quieter (for people noise) than in economy. Yes, if the person in front reclines you lose space but the extra width of the seat was worth it in my opinion. And if you manage to get seats on the side, where it's a two-seat configuration - even better!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
63,548 posts
175 reviews
175 helpful votes
8. Re: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

True, but remember this happens in a much more noticeable way in economy. When the economy seat passenger reclines, the TV monitor is pretty much in your face. In PE, you still feel you have the extra space.

>>>Yes, if the person in front reclines you lose space but the extra width of the seat was worth it in my opinion.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
18 helpful votes
9. Re: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

I have the same question, booked an economy fare DUB-HKG and regret not booking PE so hoping to call them tomorrow and pay to upgrade. I can’t seem to do it on the website. Does anybody have any experience with PE on the A350? Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
10. Re: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?

Gre T— I am debating calling them to see how much it would be to upgrade, or just hoping they offer me the ability to upgrade bid. Not sure what to do!!

Reply to: Is Cathay Pacific premium economy worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted