We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

I forgot to add our middle names on my Orbitz booking with Cathay Pacific airlines flying from USA to Hong Kong. Can people who was in the same boat please tell me their recent experience? Thanks!

28 replies to this topic
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

Here is a similar post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k1011952…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
60,414 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

please search the forum -- people in the same boat? It is not a boat, it is an armada

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
359 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

The virtue of using a travel agent - a good agent should know the rules. It would be down to them to fix the issue if it was a requirement - which it is not.

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

If the middle name is on the passport then it has to be on the ticket....

Just did that on a international delta air flight.... The agent at delta did not put the middle name on the ticket... Lucky I caught it within the 24 hours... They had to cancel that whole ticket and rebook it correctly...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

>>> If the middle name is on the passport then it has to be on the ticket.... <<<

This is not true. At least not on any airline I've ever flown on.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
99,121 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

I have been travelling by air since 1962. I have never had my middle name on a ticket and have never had any problem. Reply #4 is just plain wrong.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
1 review
7. Re: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

Wasn’t it I think WOW airlines that was insisting on middle names?

I just flew United to and from Paris, without the middle name on my ticket.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
714 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

Over the past several years, flying on Delta, American, and United, I have never used my middle name on a ticket.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
94 reviews
9. Re: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

Just in the previous year or so I've flown several flights on quite a number of different airlines via numerous airports across four continents. I've included my middle name once or twice, but typically I don't bother. Perhaps getting a little more paranoid about it these days. Necessary? Very rarely. Good practice to match all your documents to limit potential issues.

In short aside from maybe WOW, bought up recently by Iceland Air apparently, no one seems to care.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,614 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience

“Wasn’t it I think WOW airlines that was insisting on middle names?”

=============

Yes, and that’s the only airline that has been reported doing that, and many of us suspect shenanigans on their part.

“Overbooked flight, too many have actually showed up, how many can we deny boarding citing some rule to avoid paying €600 compensation? Let’s go for missing middle names.”

It turned out that WOW was in severe financial trouble and falling behind on payments, such as landing fees at KEF. They nearly went out of business in September, and have this week sold themselves to Icelandair for a paltry $18-25 million (around the value of a good condition second hand A320).

So I strongly suspect that was shenanigans (and yes a scam) from a struggling airline who will shortly be no more.

All my company booked flights miss out my middle name. That’s not forgetting, it’s deliberate. And in 23 years of intensive flying around the globe I’ve never had an issue anywhere.

Edited: 09 November 2018, 00:01
Reply to: Forgot middle name on ticket, please tell me your experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted