We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

Can anyone suggest which choice of airline would be more suitable for a single woman to fly Australia ( eastern seaboard) to UK economy, I'm looking for a comfortable seat in perhaps a set of only two? And, which flight route would be better and happy to have a long lay over.

12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,337 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

Qantas, with a stop over in Singapore

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
2. Re: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

I like Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong.

You’ll get lots of varying opinions to the best airline to fly.

Edited: 08 November 2018, 22:20
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,665 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

For me, a long layover would mean a few days. Otherwise, even in economy (especially in economy) I want to get the flights over and done with (my “half way round the world” equivalent is between India and the west coast US).

For long (multi day) layovers I’d suggest Singapore (Qantas, Singapore Airlines), Hong Kong (Cathay Pacific) or Bangkok (Thai Airways). Of those I’ve flown Cathay and Thai and liked them a lot. I get to fly Singapore in a week’s time, though only short haul, and my expectations are high.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

The A380's can have a small upper deck economy cabin with two seat window rows. Qantas has one but seat availability is very limited without frequent flyer status. We managed to get back row recently. If Singapore Airlines have one, that's probably a better choice. I'd also look at Japan Airlines for economy.

Edited: 08 November 2018, 23:20
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
63,085 posts
175 reviews
5. Re: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

It's not just a particular airline. You need to look at the equipment used as well. For example, some airlines are now using 3-4-3 on 777. If you get such a layout, you will find yourself in a narrower seat, more crowded cabin, more disturbance, and longer lines for toilets.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

Choose A380 as much quieter than the other planes that operate this route.

Surbiton, United...
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

and avoid 777s

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

From Sydney I'd also have a look at Korean via Seoul. You will need an overnight in Seoul on the way out (which the airline pays for) but coming back it's probably the quickest (it certainly is to Auckland). The price in Business has been keen for our last two trips, so I assume economy as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,766 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

It’s very subjective, and with so many choices available, it’ll come down to a bunch of personal preferences, including cost. All the popular carriers for this route have been suggested.

My preference is the same as USBT’s in that I’d rather get the flight over and done with as quick as possible, so total flight time is a factor for me. If however, you don’t really care how long you take to get there, for economy, I too agree with Blutek’s suggestion of looking at Japan Airlines.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
63,085 posts
175 reviews
10. Re: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London

777's are fine as long as they aren't 3-4-3. One has to balance cost, routing and schedule. While A380 has its advantage, you might be ruling out too many options if you don't consider a 777 at times.

Reply to: Best Airlines to fly Australia to London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted