We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

Level Contributor
91 posts
195 reviews
Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

We are wanting to fly for a cruise starting in Dover, England. We found we must fly into Heathrow, then take a transfer to Dover. For flight back we leave from Amsterdam back to Denver, Co.

What airlines are recommended for good service and comfortable flights?

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,586 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

Both United and British Airways offer nonstop and direct flights from DEN to LHR and as such both would be the first place to look. BA are likely to be able to offer a multi city ticket to retrn from AMS to LHR (ensure you don't book a flight from AMS to LCY, London City Airport) for a true through ticket where your bags would be checked through from Amsterdam to Denver.

Those who like UA will say choose that airline, and those who like BA will say the same. If you are a member of UA's frequent traveller program or are an AAdvantage member (or a BAEC member) then you may prefer to book with that airline to earn miles.

Presumably you'll fly to arrive in the UK a day or two prior to the departure of your cruise. You may take the Southeastern HS1 train from London St Pancras to Dover Priory station with travel time just over an hour. If you must travel from London to Dover on the same day your flight will arrive you'll need to allow at least four hours between scheduled flight arrival and train departure from St Pancras to ensure enough time for the arrivals process at Heathrow and the one hour trip from Heathrow to King's Cross for St Pancras station.

Level Contributor
91 posts
195 reviews
2. Re: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

UGH, this sounds complicated.

Thanks for your rapid reply though.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

Not difficult, but as TP says, it would be wise, and less stressful, to build in an overnight in London. Transport within London is astonishingly easy for most of us in the U.S. As for best, most comfortable flights --in economy, it hardly matters and none will be pleasant. You can look at the in-between class of travel if your budget permits; I think it is World Traveler Plus on BA.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
149 reviews
4. Re: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

Why is it complicated? If you fly non stop, not complicated at all, then you have 2 choices BA or United. Simple. Price both up and look at schedules and choose the one that suits you best. As said arrive at least a day or two in advance and stay in London and get the train to Dover.

If you start looking at connecting flight then it does get a bit more complicated. So if that's too much for you don't do that. Fly non stop.

Velez Rubio
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

If you look on the Britain, under 'Western Europe' in the ports of call section on Cruise Critic, you will find recommendations for car transfers to Dover, which may be easier, but not necessarily cheaper, than going by train.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
6. Re: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

>>>UGH, this sounds complicated.<<<

Far from it, this one looks straight forward as you have very limited logical choice. There are only 2 non stop flights to London -- United or BA -- there are zero non stops available from Amsterdam to Denver, so you will have 1 connection to get home, there's no other way. BA are partners with AA so you can also book the flights on the AA website and they will offer the BA non stop.

You are looking for a "multicity" ticket DEN to LHR & AMS to DEN (it's under advanced search on AA) and pick the flights that suit you. I would second arriving a few days before the cruise in case of delays or other issues.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
61 reviews
7. Re: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

OP, can you shed some light on this statement: "We found we must fly into Heathrow, then take a transfer to Dover"?

Does that mean that the cruise provider has booked you for a transfer to Dover that specifically goes from Heathrow?

I ask, because if that's true, and you must be at Heathrow to catch your ride to Dover, AND you intend to go to Dover the day you arrive - then yes, you should fly into Heathrow.

It could be a good idea - as suggested - to arrive a day or two early in Britain, to give yourselves a chance to adjust to the time change. (I've traveled to London several times and am just home from a 9 day trip. I find the adjustment to London time is easier than the adjustment back to Mountain time when I get home.)

If you do fly in a day or two early, you don't need to fly into Heathrow. Which opens up the third nonstop service from DEN to the UK: Norwegian Air from DEN to Gatwick (LGA). The upside: Norwegian flies those nice new 787 Dreamliners on that route. The downside: they only fly the route three days a week.

As to United and BA service between DEN and LHR. United's service is seasonal: late March through late October. BA's is every day, all year. United, I believe, flew that route this year with the 787s. See this article: https:/…

BA flies it with good old 747s. I want to fly in the 787; I've heard anecdotes that due to the improved air pressurization etc., that a long flight on that plane is less tiring than on older types of aircraft.

Which brings up comfort, one issue you asked about. IMO economy class is pretty much the same and for my aging bod it's not at all comfortable. But that's just me. My last few flights to London have been in BA's premium economy (World Traveller Plus) class. Just enough extra seat and leg room for a bit of comfort. I don't know what United now offers on international flights as a step up from economy. They used to have Economy Plus which was basically extra legroom and which was a huge improvement in comfort for me 9 years ago flying to/from Bangkok.

I'd like to try Norwegian's premium economy class on its 787 DEN-LGA service. As I mentioned, that's a nice new plane and the seats and amenities look really good.

About service, since you also asked about that. IMO it's hard to predict. I've always found service on BA's Denver/London flights to be really good, whether economy or premium economy. I've had mixed results flying United internationally - from meh to okay. Others have had very different experiences, I'm sure.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,798 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

Norwegian Air from DEN to Gatwick (LGA)

--------

Errr, I think you mean LGW. LaGuardia in NYC is LGA.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
61 reviews
9. Re: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

>>Errr, I think you mean LGW. LaGuardia in NYC is LGA.<<

You're so right! Sorry about that - and thanks for the correction. I should know by now not to post long comments so early in the morning before my coffee has kicked in.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
10. Re: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London

>>>before my coffee has kicked in.<<<

Tell me about it - it's a major drag, huh?

Anyway, I deliberately left out Norwegian on this trip as th OP can't book a multicity with them as they have no return from AMS, that would have to be booked seperately through "easyjetworldwide" and has a 6hr connection on the way home. It is considerably cheaper most dates even with all addons, but the OP sounded averse to complications.

Reply to: Recommended airlines to fly from Denver to Heathrow, London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted