We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage limits in Australia

Vermillion
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Baggage limits in Australia

I am flying domestically in Australia next month. I have a large dive bag which may exceed the dimension limits on domestic flights, but not the weight restrictions. How strict are the airlines, specifically Quantas, about these limits and can I pay extra if my bag is too big"

11 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
1. Re: Baggage limits in Australia

there is info on their website qantas.com/gb/…additional-baggage.html

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
708 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Baggage limits in Australia

You haven't said how over the limit your luggage is or where you are flying domestically. Our limits are well below the US. In my experience the cheaper airlines (eg Jetstar) are VERY strict - particularly with weight (limit is 7 kilos). Qantas and Virgin less so, but don't think something well beyond the limits will be ok.

Some of the Queensland destinations or beachy locations may be on a smaller plane where they gate check all luggage beyond the size of a handbag or briefcase.

Vermillion
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Baggage limits in Australia

I’m flying from Cairns to Sydney on Quantas. I have a dive bag with total dimensions of 62” and I think the limit for checked bags is 55”. Don’t think I’ll be over the weight limit. Wondering if they will allow the big checked bag and I don’t mind paying extra.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
708 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Baggage limits in Australia

Cairns to Sydney will be a larger plane, but I can't guarantee they will allow it as carry on.

Vermillion
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Baggage limits in Australia

I’m not going to carry it on, it is checked luggage. I’m concerned that they might refuse to take it if it is over the limits in dimensions for checked luggage.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,281 posts
171 reviews
6. Re: Baggage limits in Australia

Enforcement is down to Qantas (without the "u") so nobody can give you the official answer. If you exceed the dimensions, you should check their oversized bag policy per their website.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
96 reviews
7. Re: Baggage limits in Australia

Are you flying Qantas to Australia, and what class and status are you flying?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
153 reviews
8. Re: Baggage limits in Australia

If your bag doesnt exceed the weight limits for your ticket class then you will check in as normal, they will weigh the bag, tag it, and give you your baggage tickets, and then you will be sent to the Oversized Baggage counter where you drop it off. At the other end you will need to look out for the area in luggage reclaim where they put the Oversized bags for pick-up.

Edited: 19 November 2018, 02:06
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
122 reviews
9. Re: Baggage limits in Australia

It really depends on where the extra size is and you haven't clearly said where, youv'e kept that a secret ... so no one here can say for sure. You won't know until you are at check-in and speaking to actual Qantas staff.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,323 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Baggage limits in Australia

I agree with able. I’ve taken a few domestic flights with a checked bag that was over in size (hadn’t realised my bag was too big) but the right weight. I had no issues. If it’s a long narrow big it may look obviously oversized and you’d need to lay whatever the fee is for an oversized bsg

Reply to: Baggage limits in Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted